NTSC DVD's

wx622 12:04 10 May 05

Can we play NTSC dvd's over here? My Sony DVD player apparently can, but does my TV have to be NTSC-compatible or just the DVD player?

dewskit 12:09 10 May 05

As NTSC is a different system to that used in UK (PAL) then presumably you need a compaticle TV to be able to view NTSC format DVDs.

NTSC was always said to stand for "Never Twice the Same Colour" incidentally!

dewskit 12:10 10 May 05

As NTSC is a different system to that used in UK (PAL) then presumably you need a compaticle TV to be able to view NTSC format DVDs.

NTSC was always said to stand for "Never Twice the Same Colour" incidentally!

timeteam2004 12:46 10 May 05

click here

Gives the comparisons. Most TV in UK are NTSC compatible anyway. It's just a case of different number of 'Lines' that make up the picture.

Wilham 12:48 10 May 05

wx622: My younger son lives nd works in US. His friends were interested in seeing the new Dr Who, so I recorded two episodes to a couple of DVD-R's with my Panasonic recorder E20.

He had difficulty reading the PAL, but later sent me a copy of both episodes on one DVD+R disk. He said it was now NTSC. My E20 did not recognise this disk, but my newer Panasonic DMRE95 played it straight away. I am surprised with the definition and quality it produces on my PAL TV. I had expected a downgrade.

I am told the conversion using a fast twin procesor computer took 1.5 hr for each episode, and it would take overnight to do it on my own P4. The s/w he used is described click here

Hope the above may be of interest.

woodchip 12:48 10 May 05

You can change some to work with both

wx622 15:14 10 May 05

Thanks for the advice. Probably the best bet will be to order one and see if it works on my dvd player and my TV.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced