ntoskrnl.exe - what is it?

IClaudio 10:16 04 Jun 03

Once or twice a day, my Sygate Firewall blocks this file:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntoskrnl.exe, saying that the file has changed and the incoming threat is major.

Back Tracing the route doesn't help (I mean I don't understand what it's saying!) - and the application doesn't appear in the list of 'Allowed/Disallowed' applications...

Obviously, Sygate is doing its job, so I'm not worried, but should I allow the application, which wuold stop the regular popups (presumably), or do I learn to live with the popups?

Thanks for any help!

MartinT-B 10:52 04 Jun 03

click here for sygates reason for blocking it.

Their explanation is for Xp, but this program is also part of W2K.

As to what it is and does, I'm still looking...

IClaudio 10:58 04 Jun 03

Well spotted! I couldn't find that on Google - didn't think of Sygate's site, doh!

Haven't the faintest idea what it's all about, but it looks like I'm going to have to live with it for now.

MartinT-B 11:10 04 Jun 03

The following may be complete rubbish!

I THINK the NTOSKRNL.exe file is the original Windows NT Operating System Kernel (NT OS KRNL)

It is also used as part of W2K and XP and is involved in the Boot.ini file (you can edit it to change your boot screen for instance) and a few other things.

There are a couple of viruses (found stuff at sygate and Norton) which can change this file (when an Admin logs on) to allow access to the web, which it apparently doesn't actually need.

MS support have a whole list of what to do if it's corrupted, but nothing I could find on what it actually is or does per se.

hugh-265156 12:48 04 Jun 03

i just edited this a few weeks back.well part of it anyway.its the windows boot logo

IClaudio 13:05 04 Jun 03

Yes, my crossword mind ground into gear, and I figured that's what it would be - but as it's sitting on my machine, why would it be_in_coming? Various apps (obviously) need to go outwards... maybe it's part of Microsoft's spy network?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…