ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt (vista)

Sean.f 21:55 21 Nov 08

I have Windows Vista installed on one HDD and XP on the other. When I start up my pc i get the option to start with Vista or older version on windows, I installed vista service pack 1 and it says ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt, I inserted the vista disk and repaired the errors and started fine and no service pack installed. Did this twice and both time the same so disabled auto update, or so I thought, my son has installed service pack 1 and now getting the error again but this time the unable to repair with the windows disk, I dont want to have to do a fresh install as I have emails I would like to keep.

MAT ALAN 22:00 21 Nov 08

click here

this may help...

Technotiger 22:01 21 Nov 08

You could back-up your emails ... click here if you need to do a re-install.

Sean.f 22:26 21 Nov 08

Thanks Mat Alan but that way also failed had a go 3 time this afternoon followed all the instructions but when i exit out of the dos box and select restart it should do a restore but it just restarts the pc as normal and im back to selecting os version and vista still wont start i can use XP fine.

Sean.f 22:28 21 Nov 08

not sure how to back up emails when i cant get vista going

Sean.f 17:18 22 Nov 08

OK I have followed the instructions on how to try and repair this but now it wont let me select what os to use it just goes to vista and then i get the ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupt again, so look like its a reinstall, but before I do this can I plug my drive in another pc and back-up my emails?

Sean.f 17:08 23 Nov 08

Thanks for the help got my emails backed up now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…