ntoskrnl.exe ???

woofwoofbark 06:49 06 Nov 04

Hi .... I keep getting a popup through my firewall ... im using the Sygate free edition and im on winXP ....
---------------------------------------------
An application named NT Kernel & system (file name ntoskrnl.exe)
has been blocked from accessing the network.

---------------------------------------------

i have ticked the box 'dont show this window again' but it keeps reappearing every few mins ... does anyone know what the NT Kernel & system , ntoskrnl.exe is and is it needed to run the comp ?

help please

cheers

geo

lpl56407 07:20 06 Nov 04

Description:
ntoskrnl.exe is a critical process in the boot-up cycle of your computer although should never appear in WinTasks whilst under normal circumstances Note: ntoskrnl.exe can be altered by the w32.bolzano and variants. If this process appears in WinTasks, please update your virus definations immediatly

woofwoofbark 09:02 06 Nov 04

i have ticked 'allow' plus in the popup that repeats itself over ond over 'groan' i have ticked the 'dont show this window again' (or words to that affect) is there anything i can do to stop the popup from appearing constantly , grrr

cheers

geo

curlylad 10:34 06 Nov 04

Are you using Windows 2000 ? If so have a look here click here this link may help.

woofwoofbark 10:39 06 Nov 04

"Hi .... I keep getting a popup through my firewall ... im using the Sygate free edition and im on winXP .... "

:p

I got help from britto in another thread and have eliminated the popups ... but im not sure if I should permanently allow ntoskrnl.exe or not

im on winXP hehe

cheers

geo

curlylad 11:07 06 Nov 04

Have you added or removed a disk drive recently or modified the boot.ini ,if so then boot.ini is probably corrupted.Have a look here click here

dagwoood 17:42 06 Nov 04

george_g, you should not allow ntoskrnl.exe access to the internet. Here's a link on how to configure Sygate - click here

HTH, dagwoood.

woofwoofbark 01:18 07 Nov 04

Ive followed that link you gave above and things are cool now !

Much appreciated

geo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…