NTLDR problem

TN 12:52 08 Jan 07

My daughter's Lap Top computer was heavily infected with virii of various types. She decided that after running HouseCall and getting rid of them she would re-format her C Drive and reinstall Windows XP Home. She set the bios to boot from the CD and all went well with the Installation CD formatting the C Drive. However when the actual installation commenced the computer hung and after waiting for 2 hourse she rebooted it to start the installation again. As soos as she switches on the copmputer she gets a message at the top of her screen to say NTLDR is missing. She (a) cannot get to the C: prompt (B) cannot start the CD drive and of course she has no Windows installed to get to Safe Mode. All she can access is the Bios and can go no further after the NTLDR message appears. Apart from setting fire to the LapTop is there any method at all that will get her past this stage. I have tried inserting a Knoppix CD but still get the same message as I get with the Windows XP Home CD.

terryf 13:01 08 Jan 07

Please google 'NTLDR is missing', you will get a number of solutions

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:18 08 Jan 07

All she can access is the Bios

set first boot device as CD drive secon as HDD.

NTLDR Missing
click here

If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

For NTFS:
Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair. Typically this will be #1 Enter in the administrator password when requested Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive) COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ Take out the CD ROM and type exit

TN 14:11 08 Jan 07

Thanks Terryf and Fruit Bat BUT the computer will NOT boot at all - it goes straight to the message NTLDR is missing. As I said I've tried botting from various CD's (including Knoppix) (the laptop has no Floppy drive only CD. But that is the problem it will not go beyond the NTLDR message under any circumstances. I had previously read the remedys fro Google but none tell me how toi get past the NTLDR message!

sydhall 13:06 13 Feb 07

NTLDRis missing

Sorry if Cannot Get to Hard Drive: Visit this site and download Floopy/information this will allow you to make a Boot-Up-Disc:
When the computer boots up? Just copy NTLDR File from Floppy to C:\ Driv
on to the computer

Simple "ntldr is missing" fix with boot floppy or CD, then fix HD
How to fix: NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart. What happened? ... Use the boot disk in the computer with the "NTLDR is missing" error. ...
click here -

Syd.

Ho-Lin-Sok 13:55 13 Feb 07

Check that the boot order has not changed in BIOS as you may need to reset to make CD first bootable drive again, if the XP disk starts you need to be quick when it says "press any key to boot from CD" as it will revert to trying to boot from the HD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…