ntldr not found-help!

froggg 22:33 02 Dec 03

asus p4p800 mobo,p4 2.6ghz 512mb crucial,fx5900 graphics
c=7.5gb,d=50gb e=7.5gb ,f=60gb(c+d =1 h/d)(e+f=2x raptors raid 0)
xp home on c ,xp pro on e.
I rebooted the pc,loading stopped at 'ntldr not found', cant get in either o/s-the repair option only sees the 'c' o/s,but the raid boot utility shows raid ok.now what?I find the repair options to be extremely user unfriendly,I tried fixmbr,but it warned me about losing partitions etc(presumably the raid array)Any help would be appreciated!!!

sil_ver 22:43 02 Dec 03

here's a thread that might be useful click here

froggg 23:12 02 Dec 03

looks good,worried about losing my raid array though.why doesnt windows have a REAL repair option ie automatic!!

smegs 23:27 02 Dec 03
  froggg 00:41 03 Dec 03

thanks,I'll try that,later.

temp003 04:28 03 Dec 03

Make sure in BIOS that the computer is booting from the primary master (assuming your C is on the primary master).

If nothing else works, you can ultimately do a repair installation, that is, boot from XP CD, press Enter (not R at this stage) to enter XP Setup, choose to install a fresh copy of XP, and then when you get a choice to repair an existing installation, press R to do it (remember to select the right copy of XP - I suggest over the top of XP Home, and not XP Pro, since the latter is on RAID). So you must boot up with the right XP CD.

Before that, you can try again with Recovery Console. I suspect the last time Recovery Console could not detect XP Pro because it was on Raid, and XP Setup or Recovery Console did not have the hard disk Raid driver, could only detect the plain IDE (your C and D) but not the RAID setup.

This time, when the computer boots up, as soon as you see the first XP Setup screen, press F6 (there should be a prompt at the bottom of the screen)(press it a number of times if in doubt). Files will continue to load, at the end of which you'll be prompted to insert a floppy. You must have the Raid driver on a floppy. (If you don't have the driver on a floppy, never mind, you can still go into Recovery Console or repair installation on C).

Then enter Recovery Console. Select 1. C:\WINDOWS and enter XP Home administrator password.

Although the error message says ntldr is missing, usually it's not actually missing, but either the boot.ini file is corrupt, or there are too many files in the C root directory, and C is too fragmented so that the boot up process cannot find the ntldr file.

At the C:\WINDOWS> prompt, type

map

and press Enter. Note the drive letter for your CDROM. I'm calling it X: here. Also see if there is any anomaly in the partitions, if so, do not proceed and just post back the info.

Then type:

copy x:\i386\ntldr c:

and press Enter. If you get a message saying do you want to overwrite it, say yes (if you get the message, it means the file is actually there).

Then type:

copy x:\i386\ntdetect.com c:

and press Enter. Say yes again.

Then type:

bootcfg /rebuild

and press Enter. This is to rebuild the boot.ini file just in case it is corrupt.

Your XP installations will be scanned. When asked whether to add them to the boot list, say yes to All (if only one copy of Windows is detected, never mind, just say yes to that).

For the copy of XP Home on C, you'll be asked to enter Load identifier. Type:

Microsoft XP Home

and press Enter. When asked for load option, type:

/fastdetect

and press Enter.

If applicable, for the XP pro on E, the load identifier is Microsoft XP Professional and the load option is also /fastdetect.

If both XP copies are detected, you should also be asked which OS to use as the default, pick either one. If asked for timeout value, say 10 (meaning 10 seconds). You may be asked these questions earlier.

After rebuilding boot.ini, at the prompt, type

fixboot c:

and press enter. Confirm the action.

[Were it not for your Raid, I would have suggested the further command fixmbr but don't, just in case it messes up your partition table.]

Then type exit. Computer will restart. Remove CD and see if it will boot.

If it still fails, restart with XP Home CD and do a repair installation of XP Home. After booting into Home, you might need to rebuild the boot.ini file to include the XP Pro copy.

Check what's on the C root directory. If there are too many individual files (I don't mean folders, just files), move the non-system files elsewhere. Also defrag your C drive.

temp003 04:30 03 Dec 03

Also, if you do need to do a repair installation, you'll need to reapply all Windows updates. Don't go on the internet before you have applied the blaster patch. download it on another computer, burn to CD and install on new XP Home before going on internet.

froggg 17:26 03 Dec 03

tempo-wow,what can i say,how comprehensive is that response!!!!
I'll try all that,for now,I've put a boot.ini file on a floppy with ntldr and nt detect,which gets me in to 'c',and I can see all my drives,thank god.I'm putting this problem at the door of 'diskeeper',its done it to me before,never again-when I defragged 'c' with speeddisk non of the system files were at 'the front'.please clarify 'Check what's on the C root directory. If there are too many individual files (I don't mean folders, just files), move the non-system files elsewhere'.ie tell me how:).ps updates on cd,from ms corporate site !

froggg 17:52 03 Dec 03

update;went through your list,all went well,as per,XP pro not found,fair enough,on reboot got ntldr missing-aargh!I'll await your reply before repair install-I really dont want my raid array to fall over,although i would hope that losing an o/s would not mean losing an array.I assume that if i repair/installed xp home,with the raid drivers,xp pro would suddenly be seen by windows,as would the partitions.

ams4127 19:23 03 Dec 03

This has worked for me and has rescued several others with the same problem.

Boot from your XP disk, get to a command prompt and run CHKDSK.

That should fix it.

temp003 06:55 04 Dec 03

chkdsk is a good suggestion.

In Recovery Console, type

chkdsk c: /r

and press enter. See if it works.

Since you can boot into XP Home on the XP boot floppy, you can try a defrag of C (I wouldn't blame it on Diskeeper, the problem is not uncommon).

Keep your XP boot floppy safe and warm. It's your lifeline (by the way, does the boot.ini on the floppy include XP Pro?)

You only need to move non-system files on C directory if there are many of them. If there aren't, don't bother.

System files on C root directory: ntdetect.com, ntldr, boot.ini, pagefile.sys. Sometimes you get arcldr.exe, arcsetup.exe, and even what appears to be 9x files, such as autoexec.bat, config.sys, io.sys, msdos.sys. Leave these alone. The others, if there are many of them, move to another folder.

If none of this works, do a repair installation of XP Home. This will not affect your XP pro, as long as you make sure you install it to C (well, XP setup can't detect the raid hard disks anyway).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…