ntldr missing when installing XP

Fullywired 11:31 09 Jan 05

having upgraded my system to an AMD athlon 64 3000+, AsRock k8 Combo-Z and 512Mb of DDR ram, i am trying to install windows XP onto my Hard Drive, however, when installing, it gets to 99% of copying files and says "windows cannot load "ntldr" make sure the disc is not dirty or damaged" the disc is not dirty or corrupt, i have tried with 2 versions of windows XP professional (origianal and a backup copy) plus the 64-bit trial version from the microsoft website. could this be something to do with the setup of my PC? or the recent upgrades?

any help appreciated

Regards
Fullywired

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:40 09 Jan 05

1.Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.

2.When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.

3.Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.

4.Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.

5.You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.

6.Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:
copy ntdetect.com c:

7.Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:44 09 Jan 05

If you are getting this error message while you are attempting to upgrade to Windows 2000 or Windows XP from Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME running FAT32 please try the following recommendations.

Boot the computer with a Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows ME bootable diskette.
At the A:\> prompt type:

sys c: <press enter>

After pressing enter you should receive the "System Transferred" message. Once this has been completed remove the floppy diskette and reboot the computer.

If you are encountering this issue during your setup you may wish to completely erase your computer hard disk drive and all of its existing data and then install Microsoft Windows 2000 / Windows XP

Fullywired 13:57 09 Jan 05

Thank you for your help "Fruit Bat /\0/\" i tried your first reply but unfortunatly it was unsuccessful, the files were aparently not there to copy! i have now resolved the problem by Fdisking the hard drive using an old windows ME boot disk, i then managed to install windows XP Professional perfectly, within 15 minutes my PC was back up and running again!!

thanks again for the help.

Regards

Fullywired.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now