NTLDR missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart. HELP!

lahorie 10:08 29 Nov 04

Hi All

Was running win2k pro on on hard disk. Decided to install xp pro on a second hard disk in my system. One on ide 0 and the other on ide 1. Did systems upgrade check, came back fine.

On installation, gets to 99% and then says cannot read from NTLDR, NTSKERNL, NTDETECT and a few others.

I quit setup and restarted only to be confronted by NTLDR MISSING press ctlr+alt+del to restart and it keeps going on like this.

I can't get into win2kpro now!

I've tried recovery console, fixmbr,fixboot with no results. I am desperate now, didnt know this would cause so much trouble with my win 2kpro.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Lahorie

Diodorus Siculus 10:21 29 Nov 04

Will a reinstall of Win2k over the current install work? It should offer the chance to repair the current installation.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:22 29 Nov 04

click here or have a read here click here

G

lahorie 11:48 29 Nov 04

Thanks Guys.

My initial error is cannot copy the file xxxx and this then produces the error.

I have tried 2 different xp disks, both give the same error.

Thanks

Lahorie

Diodorus Siculus 12:30 29 Nov 04

Can you install Win2k again?

I read recently that such read errors can be caused by faulty memory rather than faulty disks. If you have more than one stick of memory, can you remove one or other and try again.

lahorie 12:35 29 Nov 04

Hi dioddorus siculus.

I dont want to do this as i fear i will lose my work etc.

I have chosen the option repair but it has not worked, same error

Lahorie

lahorie 13:36 29 Nov 04

Hi Diodorus Siculus

I dont want to lose my work etc. I have tried repair using the console and fixboot, fixmbr etc with no success.
I installed win2k pro with same mem config no probs.

1 GB ram

80 GB disk win2k
40 GB disk xp ppro

Diodorus Siculus 14:03 29 Nov 04

Installing over the current install should not cause you to lose your work.

But what you can do is take out the second disk, install it as master and install Win2k on it. Then install the original as slave and take your work off it.

And as a warning for others, backup before doing anything as dramatic as installing a new OS. click here

lahorie 14:58 29 Nov 04

Thanks Diodorus Siculus

Lahorie

lahorie 14:26 01 Dec 04

Hi Guys

I have added this as a slave and can now see it.

It still wont boot up, even though partition is active. I have tried recovery console etc.

Is it worthwhile trying the fixmbr, fixboot commands?

Also i have 3 files in here, 2 are ntldr and ntdetect but have a $ sign in front and after them. I cannot delete these. Thirdly i have a setupact file from the xp pro installation.

Is there anything else i can do apart from do a reinstall.

I want a dual boot system, win2kpro and xp pro.

I have 2 hard disks.

What would be the best way to go about this?

Thanks Again

Lahorie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…