NTLDR is missing?

StevieB77 14:14 05 Apr 03

When I start my computer I get a message saying that ‘NTLDR is missing’ and Windows will not start. I can get round this problem by using the ‘Boot from hard disk’ option that is on Norton Internet Security 2003. How can I get windows to start up without having to use the CD every time?

LastChip 14:27 05 Apr 03

It would help if we knew what operating system we are dealing with, but if it is NT or Win2K (don't know about XP), the file should be in the "Service Pack" folder.

Have you applied a service pack to your computer? If so, it may be worth trying to reinstall the SP, or if it is possible, (via "Add/Remove Programs) un-install the SP and then re-install the same.

Taran 14:28 05 Apr 03

Is your drive FAT32 or NTFS ?

And uless you state otherwise, I'll assume that you did a Windows XP upgrade.

StevieB77 15:04 05 Apr 03

Sorry, I should have said that the system is Windows XP and I havn't installed any service packs.

I'm not sure if the drive is FAT32 or NFTS, how can I find this out?

Taran 15:42 05 Apr 03

Open up My Computer, right click on your C: drive and select properties from the drop down options.

Under the File System: entry it will tell you whether it is FAT32 or NTFS.

StevieB77 15:47 05 Apr 03

The system is FAT32.

Taran 10:29 06 Apr 03

Article Q314057 at the Microsoft Knowledge Base has some details on this error and how to fix it.

click here to read the article, but if it is not applicable to your situation or you are still unclear about how best to proceed, post again and one of us will walk you through the process.

Regards

Taran

StevieB77 12:17 06 Apr 03

Thanks for that information. The article does seem to give comprehensive instructions on how to solve the problem, unfortunately I don’t understand it most of it! I think it might be best to take it to someone that knows what they are doing.

Regards Steve

StevieB77 18:13 09 Apr 03

Thought I would post a final note on this one. I’m not sure how but the problem has gone. As I said earlier I have been getting around the problem by using the ‘Boot from hard disk’ option that is on Norton Internet Security 2003. But I have just started the computer and forgotten to put the disk in but has started up with no problems!

Thanks for all the advice.

Topcat12 11:45 14 Apr 03

I got the exact same message but I can't even get into my windows. I have a sony vaio laptop and it is a windows XP. I'm posting this question from another computer because I can't get into my laptop. Can you please help me. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now