NTLDR missing

wotbus@ 18:23 04 Dec 06

u/s PC = Win2000 - known serviceable PC = WinXP.
I have been given an old PC to play with (it's my hobby). It arrived dead with the diagnosis "it's the mobo". I swapped the mobo for one I had in my box of bits, still nothing. Changed the VGA and it began to fire up so I thought the inital diagnos was wrong, but got only as far as the message "ntldr missing". I have Googled and read a bit but my problem is this:
I fitted the HDD from the old PC to my good PC (as slave), re-installed the "ntldr and ntdetect" files which were in fact not missing but I assumed them to be corrupt.
I fitted the HDD back into the old PC but still it comes up with the same message.
I don't have any Win2000 discs as I was informed there were none - everything pre-installed.
I welcome any advice on how to get the old PC to boot.
Recap: Win2000, stops at "ntldr" missing even though it's there and replaced. Thanks.

wotbus@ 18:28 04 Dec 06

Just been click here
- watch this space ;-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:52 04 Dec 06

NTLDR Missing
If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS. Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

For NTFS:
Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the installation of Windows you want to repair. Typically this will be #1 Enter in the administrator password when requested Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter that is assigned to the CD ROM drive) COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\: COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\ Take out the CD ROM and type exit

wotbus@ 19:39 04 Dec 06

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\. I have a feeling it is FAT32, I will check. I did get as far as the "enter administrator p/w" for the NTFS system but was stuck! I emailed the old owner and they said they never used or had a password, so then I was off Googling for s/ware to find p/w's but gave that up ;-)

wotbus@ 17:01 05 Dec 06

Finally there. Sometimes still a bit iffy but I know I can boot into Windows each time with the floppy as described here click here
I am currently running sfc on the dead PC ;-) - well chuffed.

stylehurst 17:14 05 Dec 06

wotbus
if you are still having problems. I have a series of floppy disks here with various programs on, the discs are as follows:
Password remover boot disk.
Fix NTLDR for windows XP & 2K.
Fixboot

I have never had to use them in anger, but have collected them just in case. Let me know if you think any of them could help.

wotbus@ 16:33 07 Dec 06

Back on the job with this one. Still unable to get it to boot normally.
I can boot into Windows using the fixntldr.exe floppy downloaded from click here
but not normally. I suspect it's the old mobo BIOS (running WinMe last time it was in use) not playing with XP which is on the PC HDD. I think I have to flash the board with an updated BIOS or am I going down the wrong road. On the question of upgraded BIOS, it's like you have to pay for them, is that right? I seem to recall for my Asus I just went to the site and downloaded it!
I can boot it into safe and normal mode using this rescue floppy all the time, but still unable to get into setup tapping all sorts of keys.

brundle 16:39 07 Dec 06

The only time you might need to flash a BIOS for XP is to enable ACPI support in my experience. BIOS update will be free from the relevant manufacturer - Everest suggest links to the relevant site.
click here

If you are installing XP from scratch hit F5 during boot (when the screen says Press F6 to load SCSI drivers/3rd party drivers) and select Non ACPI system (scroll down the list, for some daft reason you can only see two lines at a time).

brundle 16:41 07 Dec 06

Just re-read, are you saying you swapped the motherboard and expected Windows to load up perfectly normally?

wotbus@ 16:57 07 Dec 06

Hi brundle. No, I didn't expect anything to be normal and anticipated problems. The PC (old) came to me as almost scrap with a diagnosis of u/s mobo and the caveat "don't spend any money on it".
It's my hobby so I began to see if I could get it going again using bits I have lying around from upgrades of my own PC's.
Sure enough, it didn't work. I swapped the mobo for one I had - still didn't work (by that I mean nothing except the CPU fan) and blank monitor. I then swapped the VGA and now I had a display, thus proving at least the VGA was duff. I swapped the mobo back to check if the inital diagnosis was wrong - it wasn't - it still wouldn't work. I put the known good mobo and VGA back and I was away again. It wouldn't boot as I got the NTLDR Missing message all the time. I googled to the site I mentioned and using the floppy I can get into XP and this eveing I have surfed to get MS updates and a firewall. The rest you know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…