Mickwreay 11:50 05 Oct 04

I have just formatted my Son's hard drive and want to reinstall all his OS etc. I have dumped the BIOS memory in accordance with the motherboard manual. When I reboot the PC it says "NTDLR MISSING" what do I need to do to allow me to get further on into the setup ie. access the CD ROM drive. I have entered the BIOS setup to ensure the boot sequence includes CD but it still hangs at the above error!
I have a laptop running XP aswell can I make a windows startup? I managed to make a DOS disc but it only allows me access to the A: drive.

Baledor 11:51 05 Oct 04

are you trying to re-install?

Mickwreay 11:54 05 Oct 04

Baledor 11:59 05 Oct 04

sorry for the obvious statement above, but XP is a bootable disk, and should start XP setup (or XP repair if it detects a previous version of the operating system)

I have never heard of 'dumping the BIOS memory' and i've been workign with computers for 15 years, I hope you manual has not instructed you to do something that you should'nt.

ould you post the text of the instructions that you followed please.

Mickwreay 12:05 05 Oct 04

Clear RTC RAM (clrtc)
Turn off pc unlpug
Remove batt
move m'board jumper to clr CMOS
Re-install bat

Baledor 12:13 05 Oct 04

re-check all cables, fixtures and fittings, make sure you've not knocked anything by accident, let me know...

Mickwreay 12:25 05 Oct 04

Checked, all ok
I have built both my last two PCs but have never encountered this problem before

Baledor 12:52 05 Oct 04

the CD-ROM drive is first in the boot sequence in the BIOS?

JonnyTub 12:56 05 Oct 04
  Micro-Man 13:09 05 Oct 04

Hi Jonny Tub, this is what my friend deleted when you were trying to help on that 'Recycle Bin' question back along. It lives in the C: root directory together with a few other bits like ntdetect.com etc. These could well be configuration type settings, since on my computer, ntldr appears to be updated most days I start up the computer using XP Pro.

ICF 18:27 05 Oct 04

I had this error once when I had the floppy cable the wrong way round on a new build pc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…