ntl world modem connection

stourry 17:32 23 Oct 03

friend has ntl world dial up had to reformat disc for win xp due to virus ntlworld disc says only 1in 98 tried to reinstall and error message as follows
gearbox cannot run win NT the installer will quit now
tried to call ntl had problem could not get through
could it be that a new install disc for ntl dial p is required
any help a blessinh thanks in davance
ray

madPentium 18:18 23 Oct 03

when setting up ISPs, I usually try to get away with doing it manually rather than using their cds. All you need is the phone number, username and password. What operating system have you reinstalled?

britto 18:18 23 Oct 03

To set up without disc go,Internet explorer-tools-internet options-connections-click setup tab,wizard will open, select setup manually then next,select i connect thro phone & modem.you have to enter the dialup number(08454550520for 1p min lin,can't remember £10 monthly number),you will also need user name and password.fairly straightforward

Epoc 18:26 23 Oct 03

The gearbox software is not essential as far as I know, as I have disabled it on my system. So once you set the connection up as above you should have no problems

joethebow 19:50 23 Oct 03

The gearbox software is a real nusance. This is what I did to get rid of it.

1. Find the Gearbox folder and add an X onto the end of the folder name. Believe it or not this disabled the programme. However I now couldn't access the internet.

2. Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel and open 'Dial UP Networking'.

3. Right Click on NTL World or NTL Freedom, whichever one's there.

4. Set the Area Code to 08089

5. Set the number to 909877

6. Click on the Security tab and make sure 'Connect Automatically' is ticked. Enter your username and password in the boxes provided.

7. Go to Dialling and make sure 'Always Dial my default connection' is ticked.

8. If you are using an NTL dialler box route your Internet cable to bypass this and all should be well.

dfghjkl 20:12 23 Oct 03

i had to reinstall ntl dial up,my first disc was about 18 months old,i tried to reinstall it about a year ago and had the same problems as you.i had to get a new disc of them it took about 3-4 working days,but i was able to reinstall it since so i guess you have got an old one.i have moved on to 150 broadband,i would recomend it to anyone

stourry 23:32 23 Oct 03

thanks everyone for allthe help sorry so late but daughter on sytem she had priority as she only visits sorry madpentium should have said re-install xp pro on a pentium 2 266

woodchip 23:44 23 Oct 03

This is the new number if you have an account, You do not need to use the CD. If you have the details of your account. go to My computer double click on Dial-Up icon click on the Make New connection wizard and use this number it is the NTLfreedom number for a NTL 321 BT line you do not need a local number just put this in the phone number box 147008089909877 You need your password and user name

stourry 10:36 24 Oct 03

thanks for all he advice i will try these and let yous know how i get on
ray

brickie5 23:47 11 Dec 03

Woodchip,Thankyou. Was searching help room for help and telephone number for ntl freedom for my laptop.You came up trumps.

Please be aware, before entering the telephone number, RIGHT click the blue bar at the top of the box, and select 'unlock'. Otherwise it will not remember the number.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…