ntl on wireless

djbenny 11:04 01 Aug 06

can the ntl modem be connected straight to a wireless access point as i have a friend that just biought a laptopp with wireless and wants to be able to use the internet around the house on the back of the modem/router there is usb and ethernet port any help?

djbenny 11:18 01 Aug 06

the ntl modem is model 08004EU NTL:200

FelixTCat 15:11 01 Aug 06

As far as I know, if you have a modem that has a USB port and a single ethernet port, it is an either - or situation. You will get a broadband output on either one or the other.

Please check your manual to confirm this.

If this is so, you will need to buy a wireless router and feed the router with the ethernet output from your modem.

Regards,

Felix

djbenny 11:15 03 Aug 06

will that mean that tyhe pc will need to be on wireless too then?

Sibbo 12:10 03 Aug 06

NTL recommend that you use the Ethernet port. On my set up (If I remember correctly), the NTL cable goes directly into the Wireless Access Point. A cable from there then goes into the Ethernet Port on my Desktop PC. I can then connect my wireless enabled Laptop to connect to the Internet without my Desktop PC having to be switched on (apart from at the electric point). Hope ethis helps.

djbenny 12:17 03 Aug 06

what wireless access points feature that, because usually they only have one etheretport for the lan togo into but none to come out?

FelixTCat 13:05 03 Aug 06

djbenny,

Please do not send private messages unless invited to do so. They are considered as spam (see the forum guide).

You mailed:

hey, will i be able to connect the usb to the pc and the wireless point to the ethernet or can it only be sent through one point?

I answered that in my first response - there is only one output.

Regards

Felix

djbenny 13:38 03 Aug 06

sorry, i understand that, but in the wireless point i have there is only one ethernet pot that is available, which is the input port, is this on all access points or just mine i was looking at the linksys one to buying for my access point

FelixTCat 13:47 03 Aug 06

djbenny,

Apology accepted. What you are trying to do is "split" your broadband between 2 devices and for that you really need a router. You can get a wireless router for about the same price as an access point; this will have, obviously, a wireless output and 4 wired ports.

If his ntl modem has a DHCP server in it then presumably he could connect the access point directly to the ethernet port and connect wirelessly to his laptop - I have no experience of this - I would recommend the wireless router path.

Regards,

Felix

djbenny 14:31 03 Aug 06

but i thought that it had to be ntl equipment to work with their system? so if i buiy a wireless router then it should be ok for both devices?

djbenny 14:35 03 Aug 06

click here would that be ok for example?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…