ruskle 12:07 27 May 06

Hello there,
I will soon be moving into a new bungalow and am sure that there is only NTL underground cable installed for the phone. If a BT line is installed it will have to be underground and result in mess and cost. I have Tiscali 1Mb broadband and am (suprisingly) quite happy with it. I have checked NTL website and they say that they use Virgin BB. My query is, can I use my Tiscali service with a NTL cable service and what would be the settings for my Linksys Wi Fi Modem/Router? I know I don't have alter anything on my laptop as it connects to my present Wi Fi and my Office which has a different provider without any alterations to settings.

ade.h 12:50 27 May 06

Tiscali provides an ADSL service; NTL, as you know, is cable. Black and white. The former requires a modem/router, while the latter requires a cable/DSL router and a seperate proprietary modem. So the answer to the first part of your question is no, and your modem/router would be redundant if your indeed stuck with a cable supply.

ruskle 14:28 27 May 06

Thanks, does that mean that I won't be able to use Tiscali, even if I buy a compatable Wi Fi modem router, or do I have to change to Virgin?

ade.h 14:45 27 May 06

You would have to use NTL. Whether Virgin, or Tiscali for that matter, are capable of piggybacking the phone supply like AOL does, I don't know. But that does not exactly represent value for money. A combination of £15 p/m, 5GB+ and 8Mbits is the benchmark these days. Plus you've got to factor in whatever you're paying to NTL.

ruskle 19:25 27 May 06

I can't understand this, NTL is the cable provider and when I put in the new post code for the bungalow this is the result.

ntl do not offer services outside its cable network.
However, we recommend Virgin.net who offer a range of Internet
options including broadband with no 12 month contract.
All you need is a BT line.

I may have to get a BT line installed.
Any suggestions.

ade.h 19:28 27 May 06

Given the choice, I wouldn't use NTL. But that's a personal opinion of course. There are a million and one good value ADSL providers around; Virgin, F2S, Nildram, etc. Do a comparison on ADSL Guide. click here

ruskle 10:25 03 Jun 06

Thanks for the advice. The problem has been sorted. BT has a new pole behind the bungalow and the distance is just! near eneough to put a wire to my property and will be done soon. I can now stay with Lineone/Tiscali my provider for 10 years.
Thanks Ruskle.

ade.h 14:33 03 Jun 06

That's good news. Gives you freedom of choice about future suppliers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…