NTL website and devious marketing ploy

joelmb 13:38 06 Apr 04

I am an NTL customer, and went to their website to see what alterations I could make to my current package i.e prices on upgrading to 1mb broadband.

Three days later I get a letter through the post from them reading to the effect of: 'We noticed you visited our website the other day, so thought you would be interested in some more of our other offers..."

I was a bit annoyed at this, but thinking about it I guess as I'm a customer they are within privacy rights?

Sir Radfordin 14:14 06 Apr 04

You would have to look at what the privacy statement on their website says, and perhaps also what they have registered with the data commisioner for use of personal data.

Have to say I'm fairly impressed by this as it shows a comapny actually using the data they are collecting.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:22 06 Apr 04

You need to take a chill pill. Not really 1984?

G

medicine hat 15:59 06 Apr 04

Better not check out the Anne Summers web site then

Lead 16:43 06 Apr 04

Did you actually log in to access the information? If so, then it's probably quite easy for them to track what you were looking at and when. If this were to happen by merely browsing to a website it would be *very* scarey. ;┬Čo

Sir Radfordin 17:01 06 Apr 04

If you know the IP address of a computer you can find it in the server logs of any accessed site. NTL must I'm sure know the IP addresses of their own users...and have access to their servers...doesn't take a genious to match the two. Don't be scared ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…