NTL Upgrade is puizzling me

*Silver*Hawk* 15:11 09 Mar 05

Hi, I heard NTL were doing upgrades on the 14th of march on the basis of a download limit. im on 300kbps and they will upgrade to 1mbps if I decide on a 3gb download limit. If I leave it it says I have a 30gb download limit? or is it unlimited if I leave it? Advice and explaining needed. Thanks.

accord 15:35 09 Mar 05

This might help or go to click here

Existing 300K customers paying £17.99 per month

Our new 1Mb service is available at the same price as the 300K service. The 1Mb service has a usage allowance of 3GB per month, which is more than enough for the majority of customers, still allowing for approximately 12 hours of Internet surfing per day. To take advantage of this free upgrade call ntl customer services on 0800 052 2000.

Existing 750K customers

We´re in the process of automatically upgrading your service to 2Mb. This upgrade is absolutely free and you don´t have to do anything to receive it. What´s more, the monthly price of this service remains the same. Check this page to find out exactly when you will be upgraded.

Existing 1.5Mb customers

We´re in the process of automatically upgrading your service to 3Mb. This upgrade is absolutely free and you don´t have to do anything to receive it. What´s more, the monthly price of this service remains the same. Check this page to find out exactly when you will be upgraded.

ntl Broadband usage allowance guidlines

Internet Activity 1Mb service (3Gb per month) All other services
Surfing 12 hours per day 24 hours per day
Sending or recieving emails without attachments 600 per week 6,000 per week
Sending or recieving emails with attachments (e.g. a digital photo) 45 800
Downloading music tracks 30 per week 800 per week
Watching videos 1 hour per week 6 hours per week
Software downloads (average of 100Mb) 1 per month 20 per week
Online radio 1 hour per day 4 hours per day
Online gaming 0.5 hours per week 6 hours per day

*Silver*Hawk* 16:11 09 Mar 05

3Gb monthly usage enough? No way...!

obbit 17:52 09 Mar 05

Well it seems like they don't want 750k users to go down to the new 1m service and it would seem like they want the 300k users to upgrade to the 2m service. Or am I being too cynical?

Pesala 18:13 09 Mar 05

In my view, capping is a fairer system. Those who regularly download large files use a disproportionate amount of bandwidth, compared to those who just browse or send emails, which means less bandwith available for other users.

Only time will tell if 3 Gbytes a month is enough for me. I am online for many hours a day, but I don't download music or video, apart from watching the BBC News or Question Time. I sometimes download large files like Software or MP3 talks, but not every day.

All that NTL wants is to make money, like any company. Nothing cynical about that.

octal 18:36 09 Mar 05

You can't blame them, they've got to do something about the bandwidth hogs for the sake of the rest of us, its not an infinite resource, its sounds pretty fair to me but I'll stick with my 300k thanks.

Watch this space, others will be doing the same.

*Silver*Hawk* 19:20 09 Mar 05

I am sure they will end up losing a large amount of customers. BT are doing much better deals.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5