NTL Spam

bingbong 11:00 31 Oct 04

I am amazed at NTL's (ntlworld.com)inability to put in place effective spam filters.

The last time i tried contacting them to complain that my email account was receiving all manner of emails (often with blatent subject lines) to meant for others on the ntlworld network with only passing resemblance to my own email address.

I was told unofficially that I should down load and instal "mailwasher" and have to go through a ritual of screeening out all spurious emails visually before downloading them. Yhis advice has subsequently been reinforced on ntlworld's own web site by the same advice with added advice to try out spamnet and other similar third party products.

As above the subject matter reported by mailwasher is so blatently spam it would seem that ntl expect customers to pay extra for any basic spam protection whilst contributing to the escalating spam problem in not weeding these out at source.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:13 31 Oct 04

ISP's supply a mail service and have no obligation to provide a nanny service just as the Post Office has no obligation to decide which mail you receive. There are many ways of reducing advertising emails but they need a little self input. Mailwasher is one excellent way and a little time on Google will throw up many more.

G

bingbong 11:38 31 Oct 04

Thanks to the last respondant but when you are geting upwards of over 200 spam messages a day from folk such as "[email protected], [email protected] etc" and often to impossible return email addresses that ntl would have the simplest of filters installed to essentially declog their own systems.

Other ISP's seem to mangae this without any problems. At the moment I would settle for only 50 spurios emails a day but it is fast becoming my day job just to weed out the 99% of emails that are spam and potential virus carriers.

I have subscribed to apamnet and find this quite effective but you still have the time to download the emails! I am sure that ntl will still run a bit faster if they adopted some of the filters other ISP's use and gain commercially from such an action.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…