NTL set top box- setting up network connection

conquistador 21:00 06 Apr 05

Hi can anyone give me guidance, i have NTL BB through a set top box which feeds the internet into my pc through an act/link (blue box) which turns the ethernet cable into a usb cable. I have a network card in my main pc which has windows xp installed, i want to feed the internet to my sons computer,also windows xp,
i have put a network card into it and bought a cross over cable. Can anyone guide me from here at all please.I have been told that doing it this way means if my son wants to use his pc that mine has to be switched on, is there a way where i can get around this.

JonnyTub 03:55 07 Apr 05

No you can't get around it unfortunately, your pc has to be switched on for your son to access the web as your pc is the host connection.

If your son wants unlimited web access without having to leave your pc on then you need to consider a different hardware setup.
Consider a wireless setup, they just as cheap as wired nowadays.
To set up the pc's so they have independant access you will need a router and two network cards for each machine.
A lot of the time people find they're limited to the type of router they can buy due to the way their modem connects, you have both options, usb and if you remove the act/link (blue box) you have ethernet.
An 802.11g belkin wireless router from ebuyer will cost you £41, add to that approx £30 for two wireless adaptors for each pc, offset that cost against a wired one and there isn't a whole lot in it £20-£30 at most. Then again you already have two network cards and a cable, so i'll stop prattling on and let you decide. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…