NTL or BT broadband?

chris6891 18:38 26 Apr 03

im moving house soon, and basically have the option of either chosing an NTL cable package...600k package, or one using the BT line, with a company such as Pipex for example, are there any preferences or reasons for chosing one or the other? please help. Thanks.

Macaonasa 20:15 26 Apr 03

NTL don't charge for installation and the modem's theirs to maintain. Pipex's 512k, NTL's 600k.

tamc98 20:23 26 Apr 03

NTL. I've had no experiance of BT but as Macaonasa said, ntl rent you the modem and don't normaly charge for connection. I think the monthly rate is also cheaper with ntl aswell as being a little faster.
Tony.

sunnysingh 21:16 26 Apr 03

BT - freephone number - got lot of mates whom joined NTL/Telewest - numerous bill problems help desk make s u wait - BT broadband wil be going to 1MB soon - contention ratio on Bt is better than NTL. very easy to install BT broadband - cable very messy!!

Coaster3 21:55 26 Apr 03

I've been on NTL's 512k service for over a year now and never had a problem. Super service. I recently installed NTL BB for a friend and ran into problems. Local rate call to the helpline and the guy at the other end had the problem sorted out in no time flat.

Great service.

I'm moving next week and I'm taking NTL with me.

hugh-265156 23:00 26 Apr 03

i was on AOL dial up for a bit and had nothing but problems with connection.tried NTL`s 128 service and was very impressed so moved up to 600k service i have had this from last october and the only problems so far were no access to email a few weeks back due to maintenance(sorted in a few hours)and unable to get the ftp client to work last week decided to give the helpline a call(even though had heard bad reports about long waits and poor service)call answered within 1 min and problem solved in same time.

bof:) 00:12 27 Apr 03

Hi chris6891,

NTL... been with them for years now with only 1 problem. This was solved by the NTL engineer on the 1st visit.

Also tried BT broadband but cancelled it as they reduced the hours per month allowed but kept the montly chareg the same.

Mike

chris6891 02:29 27 Apr 03

thanks a lot for ure replies guys, i will definitely look further into the ntl service.

Andsome 09:03 27 Apr 03

Also remember that with NTL there are no plug in splitters on the telephone line, as NTL is either connected from the set top box, or via a second line in parallel to the TV line from the box on the wall. The installation has NOTHING to do with the telephone line at all.

willhay 09:33 27 Apr 03

Had NTL for 12 months now, absolutely great service, much faster than bt, run bandwidth place, and compare the 2, my brother is on bt and gets nwhere near the results I get so he is changing over to NTL.

Kraken 10:50 27 Apr 03

bof:)

BT Broadband is 24/7 - you must have been on their dial-up which was restricted.

Chris6891

I've been on BT for over 2 years with no problems. In February I left my PC logged on under XP with Outlook Express running for 4 weeks while I was in the USA on holiday. I emailed all my digital camera pics back home so I didn't have to buy loads of memory sticks and came home to find everything there. Had no probs with the service other than newsgroups being incomplete which they can't seem to sort out. Otherwise a big thumbs up for the £29.99pm service.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5