NTL Modem Reboot Problem

Pesala 22:08 25 Apr 04

In the old days, if my NTL Home Broadband connection dropped, I could reconnect by unplugging the power-supply to the modem, waiting a bit, then plugging it back in. The modem would reboot and the connection would be re-established.

Since moving house, and getting reconnected with a new modem, I can no longer do this. If I try, the PC locks up, and Ctrl Alt Delete reveals that MSGSRV32.DLL is not responding. I cannot find this file, so maybe I got the name wrong. Did anyone else get a similar problem?

I'm using Windows ME.

VoG II 22:21 25 Apr 04

This is a Windows file so you could try re-installing from the CD click here

I suspect that it goes in C:\Windows\System or C:\Windows\System32 - it won't do any harm if you extract it to both locations.

Falkyrn 22:26 25 Apr 04

"Msgsrv32.exe is a program (Windows 32-bit message server) that performs several background functions necessary for Windows operation.

These functions include:

Load installable Windows drivers at startup and unload them at shutdown. "

It would appear from this that the problem may be more driver related ?

Pesala 22:36 25 Apr 04

I don't know what to try. I have to reboot my PC to reconnect. Maybe I should try the ethernet route, but I will need some new hardware. At least the connection is dropping much less frequently than it used to - maybe once or twice a day, instead of ten times a day.

wallbash 23:12 25 Apr 04

Please check out usb or ehernet for ntl , posted early evening, I think that should convice you

Strawballs 00:15 26 Apr 04

If your connection is dropping once or twice a day you should be bending NTL's ears, I have been on NTL broadband for 18 months through a set top box and I can count the number of times that I have had to unplug the box to reboot it because of a lost net connection on one hand.

accord 05:13 26 Apr 04

I would recommend using ethernet rather than usb with the NTL modems. Its much more stable.

Pesala 05:58 26 Apr 04

Is there a difference? I recall seeing a statement saying that the connection would disconnect automatically after two hours, or after fifteen minutes of inactivity. If that still applies, one would expect the connection to drop at least once or twice a day.

I saw the other thread on USB or Ethernet. click here It has been discussed several times before. Installing an ethernet card may be much easier and cheaper than bending NTL's ears. I don't have a landline so calls to NTL are not free.

Clint2 06:42 26 Apr 04

When I first installed NTL B/b about two years ago, I tried USB and had nothing but trouble.

I then purchased and installed an ethernet card and all problems solved.

More recently I started to get connection dropouts. I complained to NTL and they replaced my settop box. No problems since.

150k and 600k, no difference apart from speed, and connection should always be on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017