NTL modem problems

geoff47 20:33 07 Jun 07

I have been on the phone for two days to NTL Broadband support with no joy, a man is coming out on Saturday to take a look at my problem.

I have been having trouble with my broadband connection, taking the advice printed on the sticker on the modem of switching off the power to modem and PC then switching modem on etc. does not help.
Apparently the problem is with the modem,support tells me.... but strangely the man who installed it some time ago left another modem by mistake and that doesn't work either.
I have reconnected the modem to my old PC running Win 98 and that is how I am talking to you.....so the modem is OK.
The modem is just not working with my new PC running Win XP.....any clues as to what could be wrong ?

SANTOS7 20:45 07 Jun 07

maybe you need XP compliant drivers for it..

birdface 21:08 07 Jun 07

Can you get into control panel. Network Connections.Right click local area connection.and press repair,See if there is any problem with DNS connection.

geoff47 21:10 07 Jun 07

I have been using it without problem for several months......this problem has occurred in the last week or two.

I thought another program might be affecting it adversely, my daughter may have installed something iffy.

geoff47 21:21 07 Jun 07

What would I be looking for there buteman ?

birdface 21:21 07 Jun 07

Can you do a system restore to a date before you had the problems.

birdface 21:23 07 Jun 07

If its not going to start it should tell you what the problem is maybe.

geoff47 21:34 07 Jun 07

I have done a system restore....no joy.
I shall try your other suggestion.....it means my closing down this PC and reverting to the other one.

birdface 21:42 07 Jun 07

While you are in control panel try,Administrative tools.Services,Make sure Dns Client is set to automatic.

birdface 21:54 07 Jun 07

Or Control panel,Internet Options.Connections, Lan Settings, Tick automatically detect settings,Ok,Apply, Ok.

geoff47 01:20 08 Jun 07

Many thanks

"Network Connections.Right click local area connection.and press repair"
Did the job.....hope it lasts.

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…