NTL Modem, Belkin Router, No idea!

lee_robinson1983 10:46 21 Apr 06

Hi all, I'm currently attempting to set up a Belkin wireless router on a PC with NTL B/B ob and have come across a problem immediately. On the install wizard for the router it has asked if my connection is Static IP, Dynamic IP, PPIP or PPPoE? What does this all mean? and how can I find out what mine is?

Thanks

AndySD 12:05 21 Apr 06

Its Dynamic and it means that NTL can change it at any time. In practice it changes very seldomly.

mgmcc 13:28 21 Apr 06

Your IP address is dynamically assigned by the ISP using DHCP so, as already suggested, select "Dynamic IP".

When swapping over the Cable Modem connection from your PC to the router, it is important to power off the modem for a few minutes. This is so that it releases the association between your existing connection and the IP address it allocated.

Power on the modem and wait until it has booted fully and is online. Then boot the router. The Modem will detect a new connection and allocate a new IP address to it. Finally, once the router has booted fully, boot the PC which should get its IP address by DHCP from the router, in the 192.168.2.xxx range.

borolee 13:46 21 Apr 06

My connection keeps dropping and I have no idea why. I have a Belkin router, attached to an NTL modem. Does anyone have a solution????

mgmcc 14:23 21 Apr 06

There must be a hundred and one reasons why wireless network connections drop.

Among the most common are interference from mobile and/or cordless phones, microwave ovens, location of router or WiFi adapter too close to large metal objects such as central heating radiators, a generally poor signal, neighbouring wireless networks on the same channel etc...

This can cause the adapter to lose its IP address, the router is unaware that its DHCP client has lost the address and it isn't renewed. Using a fixed IP address might go some way towards overcoming the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac