NTL Internet Problem

mpearo 19:09 13 Oct 07

Hi,

Got a problem trying to set-up an internet connection with NTL.

I've run through the set-up disc that they send, it validates all the account information, says it has completed sucessfully but them will not allow access to the internet. - Seems very strange as it must be transmiting data as part of the account validation and all the lights on the modem flash during the set-up.

I have tried following the NTL advice of re-starting the modem but still no luck. - It has the same problem whether is attach the cable modem direct to the laptop with an ethernet cable or I use my wireless router. - The set-up always completes successfully but won't let me on the web

One thing I have noticed during set-up is that it says it's going to switch the router on and off, but non of the lights change ? - I tried switching it on and off at that point but still no luck.

any ideas ?

Cheers

Mark

octal 19:19 13 Oct 07

Try clearing the cache then re-boot the computer, I have to do that every time I have to re-validate my account.

By the way, I never use the disk, I can't anyway on my system.

mpearo 19:38 13 Oct 07

Will give it a go and let you know if it works

mpearo 18:40 19 Oct 07

still no luck, cleared the cache, re-booted but it still won't connect.

Used the virgin disc again, connects, runs through the set-up process but when i click on finish internet explorer says 'openeing virginmedia.com' but then it comes up with the 'page cannot be displayed' screen

Sometime IE is also saying ' IE could not open the search page'

bof:) 21:53 19 Oct 07

make sure your firewall is not blocking your internet connection.

Mike

birdface 09:19 20 Oct 07

Try Control Panel.Network Connections. Right click local area connection and press repair,See if that finds any faults. You can also try.Control Panel.Internet Options.Connections ,Lan Settings.Tick automatically detect settings.Ok. Apply.Ok.While on Internet options go to programs and make sure Internet Explorer is the default web browser.Also try Control panel,Administrative tools.Services, And scroll down to DNS Client and make sure that it is set to automatic.

Jaro 09:28 20 Oct 07

ok i thing that you will have to call virgin about this they will register you modems MAC manually and all will be ok. sometime you just have to do it this way. and do not worry about paid support line they will give you money back for the phone call just remind them that. there could be another problem as well if the virgin tech. support will not be able to help than you may not have strong enough signal in the cable in this case they will have to send somebody to your house to do the job and it will take some time week at least. sorry about that. regards Jaro

mpearo 18:44 20 Oct 07

Thanks for all the help so far.

Disabled the windows firewall - no luck, no other firewall installed.

Tried repairing the connections but had problems here:

- When repairing the 1394 connection it gives an error,saying it cant be completed because TCP/IP is not enabled .

- When repairing the wireless network connection it gives an error saying could not finish repairing because it was unable to disable the wireless adapter ( I have an internal adapter on the laptop.

tried everything that buteman suggested, no luck

Jaro - with the problems repairing the connections do you still think it's something to give virgin a call about ?

Thanks

mpearo 10:28 22 Oct 07

This morning I have tried connecting to a non NTL wireless network and it worked with no prolems.

Sounds like it's a problem with the NTL set-up, is there anything else it could be ?

Cheers

birdface 15:36 22 Oct 07

I don't know if this will be of help.click here

birdface 10:14 24 Oct 07

Hi any luck yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…