NTL and a firewall ?

Magik ®© 15:22 15 Aug 04

hi...my son has just got ntl :-( anyway, does it have a built in firewall? he has win98, we have tried again and again to put the programme in "ares" , all goes in ok, but when we click on it we get the "illegal operation" box come up, i ran "sfc" and that was ok.. any ideas, if it is not being stopped by a firewall..

thanks

pj123 15:36 15 Aug 04

Sorry, but you haven't explained this problem very well. Is it NTL dialup or NTL broadband? I have NTL Broadband and no, there is no firewall included. You say you have "tried again and again to put the programme in "ares", what is "ares"?

I use the firewall "Outpost" as reccommended by the FE. and I have no problems. I did try Zonealarm but it caused a lot of problems so I took it off.

Magik ®© 15:46 15 Aug 04

sorry, yes i worded it all wrong, he is on broadband, Ares is a file sharing prog, it downloads ok and installs ok, but click on it and you get the illegal operation thingy. so i thought it might have some firewall somewhere, we are now clutching straws...

thanks

SEASHANTY 19:34 15 Aug 04

See that its one of the P2P downloading websites.
Perhaps NTL have blocked it on their servers due to possible piracy conflicts.
click here

Magik ®© 19:47 15 Aug 04

thanks, you may be right...i will bell him, pass it on, and he can think again...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…