NTL emails bouncing back

cag 09:43 28 Oct 03

I have had an ntl broadband connection for over a year, and everything works well - except about a month ago I started getting 'Mail System Error - returned mail' messages, saying 'Your message was not delivered within 4 days. Host xxxx is not responding.'
This has been happening with a specific number of addresses I normally send to (previously without problems), but not to all - the addresses 'targeted' by this fault are mostly btinternet, but one is an ntlhome address! None of these people are having difficulty receiving from others, and I am receiving from them OK.
It's hopeless trying to get information out of ntl - can anyone suggest what might be going on, or even suggest a possible fix?

Wak 16:59 31 Oct 03

Hi cag, I've only just found out that NTL are having problems with their servers, particularly after 5.00pm.
I can send e-mails all the day but come tea-time and it either takes a very long time to upload or it keeps asking for your username and password.
Their Correct Connect program which everybody seems to dislike can tell you that your computer is OK, the connection is OK but their applications (servers) are not OK.
i spent an hour the other night checking and re-checking my password and other details to no avail.
I also believe (from the FE) that AOL have a similar problem with a too vicious anti-spam program which they installed and this causes bounced e-mails.
We'll just have to wait until they sort themselves out, I guess!

cag 17:13 31 Oct 03

Thanks Wak, but I think that may be a different problem - I had the same trouble myself last night, and took to using a web-based mail service just to get mails out!
NTL keep sending me virus warnings about the MSBlast and Welchia worms (don't affect me because I use Win98), so maybe there's a lot of spurious traffic out there?
The worst thing about the 'bouncing' emails is that it is only 4 days later that I discover that the email never got to the recipient. ...perhaps I should resort to using the Royal Mail?!? ;o)

accord 18:44 31 Oct 03

cag

stick with NTL as the Royal Mail are on strike

Wak 19:22 31 Oct 03

Snail mail could still be quicker in the long run by the way ntl are performing at the moment!

canard 19:30 31 Oct 03

NTL sent out a statement that they weren't keeping webmail available after 6 months and someone said this was because they're short of server space. So I've been putting the bouncing back down to my emails not being downloaded within 4 days. This is supposition not informed comment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…