NTL Email password problem

geoff47 22:03 19 Feb 06

I have been with NTL broadband for sometime,but recently moved house.
That is where it gets confusing....to set up the Broadband at the new address I rerun the setup disc (after a lot of hassle and advice from NTL)
To set it up I had to give an Email address and password (they wouldn't accept my old one, although I have only moved house)
Now when attempting to recieve mail I cannot access the previous account that should be functional, keep getting Address and or Password not recognised.
I have accessed Webmail using the new details, but it refuses the old ones,although I am sure I have entered them correctly.

Is it me....NTL....or what?
Any clues how I can continue to use my earlier address? I am using Thunderbird as my Email client if that is of any consequence.
Many thanks for any solutions.
Geoff47

remind 22:10 19 Feb 06

Try accessing your ntl mail server with Telnet - at least you'll find out if it's your username or your password that's the problem
click here

geoff47 22:22 19 Feb 06

Dont know if Im up to that....looks a bit complicated.
I will get back after studying it.
Thanks

skidzy 22:26 19 Feb 06

Can you access your mail from here..

click here

VoG II 22:31 19 Feb 06

Can you do a System Restore to before you did this, then just set up your e-mail manually without using the NTL disk. The disk is for setting up a new account and that is not what you want to do.

geoff47 22:47 19 Feb 06

skidzy....NO says to check my details, but Im sure they are right

Vog tm?....I am using win98....I know what you are saying though....but that was the best advice to get me online at the time.

Perhaps I should just access the new account and change it to the Old account details......catch 22 it wont allow me to because the account details are in use already ....by me.
Maybe I am dreaming this....or is it an NTL nightmare?
I knew I shouldnt have moved.

VoG II 22:52 19 Feb 06

I think that you need to phone NTL, tell them what you have done and they should be able to resolve this.

skidzy 22:55 19 Feb 06

Are you saying you have rang NTL and offically changed the details ie: Password and user id ?
Do you not have the facility on NTL home page to recover your account ?

geoff47 23:08 19 Feb 06

skidzy.....
I have spoken to them over the phone, but I set up an email account with the setup disc, just to get back on line (after several days hassle from them)and naturally enough it wouldn't accept the address that I have been using for several years now.I have never found their help page very much help to be honest....too much of a maze.I have not been able to access my old account, but can access the new one....the only difference is a digit mind you.

Vog (leaving out the tm)
I think you are right, but phoning NTL would test the patience of Job.....and since having the installation done last Tuesday, I have spent several hours on the phone being passed from department to department.
Great Broadband great telephones....Rubbish problem resolution.
Geoff47

VoG II 23:17 19 Feb 06

Painful and expensive as it might be you will have to phone them. You've inadvertently created a new user account.

skidzy 23:30 19 Feb 06

Geoff,ive just a look through NTL website.Sorry to hear of your grief with customer support or lack of should i say !
But as Vog says,to recover the old account it looks like you will have to ring them and cancel the new one.
Good Luck Geoff

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017