NTL digital ?

lazanda 15:28 11 Oct 03

I have NTL broadband at home and am setting up alarm system, which will not dial out when its supposed to.

Can anyone tell me if my NTL line is digial ? this would explain why.

Thanks

pj123 16:18 11 Oct 03

Broadband doesn't "dial out" it is "on" all the time. If what you are trying to do needs to dial out then you need an analogue modem.

lazanda 13:04 13 Oct 03

hi,

Its not for my PC, that is connected to a cable modem. This is additional to that.

My house alarm needs to be connected to my phone line so that it can dial out when an alarm is triggered it will call me, it does this through a modem in the alarm box.

Thing is, it wont, and I just wondered if you need any special codes or cables to dial using a modem when you have an NTL phone line.

Thanks for your help

pj123 15:00 13 Oct 03

Well, NTL telephone lines are cable based, which means they are probably digital. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't work with your alarm system though. Maybe you ring them on 1503 and talk to them.

lazanda 15:11 13 Oct 03

Yes, Its a Marmitek response system.

Thanks again.

lazanda 15:18 13 Oct 03

I guess at least that narrows it down to it being the actual alarm box itself which is a start.

Thanks a lot to you both for your help.

jz 19:52 13 Oct 03

NTL phone lines, NTL cable and BT phone lines (used for both phone calls and ADSL) are all analogue. Digital information can be sent along them by converting the digits to analogue using a 'modulator'. At the receiving. a 'demodulator' is used to convert the analogue signal back to digital. a Modem (a contraction of the words modulator and demodulator) is a modulator and a demodulator in one box or card, so that you can send and receive digital data.

So... whether it's ADSL or cable broadband, it's a digital signal sent in analogue format.

The fact that the lines are analogue doesn't make them inferior in any way. They just carry the digital signal in 'piggyback'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…