NTL Dial UP slow speed

Wrighty 20:13 04 Sep 03

Hi there,

On a previous posting I asked about some advice on my NTL Dial UP only half the speed as normal. My PC until approx. 2 weeks ago had Dial up speed of 46 kbps, suddenly it has 31.5kbps.

So I tried a friends Laptop to see if it ran at different speed. It did it ran at 46 kbps. Both PC run XP Home and IE6

Any suggestions would be a great help.

Wrighty

dfghjkl 22:25 04 Sep 03

you could try to scrape up 17.99 a month for 150k,you wont regret it

sdf 22:39 04 Sep 03

I use NTL broadband - its infinately more reliable and just gives a better internet experience then NTL dial up (which I had the pleasure of for a long while!). If it is in your budget I seriously suggest you consider it

Wrighty 00:22 05 Sep 03

Hi there,

Thanks for your advise but I cannot afford Broadband at the present time.

Just cannot work out why it sunddenly run at half speed only on my PC not Laptop??

Thaks anyway.

Wrighty

Djohn 00:29 05 Sep 03

Is XP using it's own modem drivers on your PC, or the drivers that came with the modem? From what you say, it does sound like your modem is not set up correctly. j.

Wrighty 01:12 05 Sep 03

I am using the updated driver that the Microsoft Update Site said I needed for my Modem. Before I installed that around 3 weeks ago it was running OK 45-46 kbps. Could it be that the latest driver is not compatible with my PC?

I thought with Microsoft saying update Modem driver it would run OK. I will uninstall the updated driver and put the Original Driver back on.

I will let you know if it works.

Thanks for your help.

accord 07:13 05 Sep 03

as mentioned above, if you can afford the extra £2 per week (not even a pint of lager down here nor half a packet of fags) upgraded to 150K broadband, you wont regret it.

as for the modem problem, restore system back to old driver and see if that helps.

Wrighty 02:29 06 Sep 03

Hi there,

Thats what I am going to try first. I will remove the Microsoft update driver and see if that makes any difference. I'll know when I added the new updates and I think it will be scene to be working fine. Lets wait and see eh.

Hope the other things get real better. I REALLY HOPE SO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks VERY VERY MUCH.

Regards

Angela Wright

Wrighty

Djohn 02:47 06 Sep 03

Morning Wrighty, No need to remove driver, just go into device manager and scroll down to modems, click on the + sign at the side of modem and your modem will be displayed, right click on it and choose "Up-date driver".

The wizard will start, follow the instructions and when you are offered the option to

"Let windows search for a better driver".

Put a dot in the round box.

"Let me choose my own"

Then click OK, you will be asked to insert the CD or floppy for your driver, do so and click away. Your original driver will be re-installed for you. Any problems please post back. j.

Wrighty 03:21 06 Sep 03

Hi There, Djohn,

Thanks for your time. Do you not sleep either??
I can if I do not have these little bugs in the running of my PC.

Still things can only get better and I will let you know how I get on with the new driver.

Thanks again for your help. I will keep you informed of the new Driver.

Many thanks, Djohn.. Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Wrighty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…