//some 3rd party need geo

NTL dial-up to NTL Broadband - remove files?

vienna1981 23:25 12 Sep 03

Hi I used to access the internet via ntlworld dial-up, I switched to NTL broadband about a month ago. I noticed that the files associated with the dial-up option are still on my PC (gearbox, etc) and were not removed by the engineer. The broadband modem is connected via Ethernet and not USB and the engineer said he didn't have to use the broadband installation disk because of this. I was wondering if I could uninstall these ntlworld dial-up files? Also, would it be safe for me to remove HSP56 Micromodem from the files too? (I am using Win98se) Thanks in advance for all help!

madPentium 23:42 12 Sep 03

If you remove the modem files, you will probably get some error messages saying the modem cannot be loaded by windows. I would physically remove the modem personally.
You can safely remove your dial up software for NTL.

vienna1981 00:04 13 Sep 03

Ok I uninstalled the ntlworld connection kit and so far so good! So should I remove the modem physically or is there no urgent need to?

Andsome 08:23 13 Sep 03

If it ain't broke, why fix it? What harm is it doing?

Wes Tam ;-) 08:58 13 Sep 03

If you remove your modem you won't be able to send/receive faxes.

Wak 09:06 13 Sep 03

I used to be on Dial-up and then switched to Broadband through the ethernet connection.
I asked about disconnecting the dial-up and the NTL engineer suggested that I keep both.
You don't get charged for the Dial-up unless you use it (on Pay-as-you-go) and it could come in handy if you cannot connect through broadband for any reason.
It's another string to your bow so why remove it???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…