NTL connection speed

Grimy Corporal 13:07 29 Dec 05

Hi to everyone, well where to begin...OK I currently have an NTL internet connection using the set top box internal cable modem. I have been upgraded to the 10MB connection but the STB internal modem can only handle 5MB max and so I'm waiting to be upgraded with a new stand alone modem. We have 3 PC's connected to NTL via a Linksys BEFSR41 v2 router. My sons PC can download files etc from his fileplanet account at approx 5MB download speed ...I on the other hand only seem to be able to achieve 1MB download speeds ...even from his fileplanet account so my question is why?. I have discounted the router as the cause of the trouble seeing as he gets big download speeds

We both use win xp sp2.My machine is based on the Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard (with a AMD XP 3200+ CPU 1 gig of Crucial Ballistics DDR PC 4000 ram.)

which has the 2 ethernet cards built in to the motherboard, a 3 com ethernet adapter and an Nvidia Nforce MCP networking adapter (I have tried both and still get sub 1MB download speeds)

Any Advice will be greatly appreciated

TA

Mac

Grimy Corporal 14:41 29 Dec 05

Edit:

Further fault finding, I have disconected the BEFSR41 v2 router and connected my PC straight into the STB cable modem itself......and no difference was seen in the download speeds of a game from Cnet.com so it must be NTL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…