NTL connection confusion

antony-332406 19:16 08 Dec 05

Hi,
i have recently joined NTL broadband, and am having a few problems...
the internet connection itself is fine, but some software isnt seeing the connection........
IE works fine, but Outlook express, and Windows media player and a few others, just not connect!
in OE a box appears stating there is no internet connection, and if i click on 'try again' it works fine, but with media player, i just cant get it to connect at all.
the computer a laptop> was part of a home network, but is now connected directly to NTL, and it is also configured to use a Nokia phonecard, when im away from home.
any ideas?
its a Dell Latitude running Windows 2000 Pro
many thanks

octal 19:34 08 Dec 05

Were you on "dialup" before going to broadband? I'm just wondering if that might have something to do with it, maybe they need to be configured for broadband. The only other thing I can think of at the moment is the firewall, what firewall are you running? The other question is, how are you connecting, are you using an Ethernet connection or USB?

antony-332406 20:30 08 Dec 05

Yes, i was - and am - also on dialup, as i said using the Nokia phonecard, what i have noticed, is that the NTL connection, seems to be using the old LAN setup.
i am using BlackIce firewall.

DerekR 20:33 08 Dec 05

Check internet options in control panel, go to "Connections", "Lan Settings" and make sure the "Automatically detect settings" is checked

woodchip 21:43 08 Dec 05

So you are on BT/FReedom BB line!?

antony-332406 21:57 08 Dec 05

No, im on NTL cable Broadband....
the Nokia phonecard uses a SIM card,
that doesnt seem to have done the job, DerekR, but i have yet to reboot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…