Ntl cable - Network problem

mikeyb59 19:12 18 Jan 03
  mikeyb59 19:12 18 Jan 03

Had Ntl Broadband installed yesterday and its the dogs parts!

However, when trying to install the supplied software on my Dell laptop (to connect through my wireless network), I get Error 23 - non-functioning NIC found. To fix, disable or remove.

The NIC it refers to is a NE2000 ethernet adaptor which I can't find on my PC.

When I first bought the laptop (Dell Latitude C610 - secondhand),it supposedly had a NIC card on-board but I could never get it to work.

I have fitted a wireless PCMCIA card for the network which works fine, the only problem is the mystery NE2000 device.

Anyone have any ideas how I can remove/disable a device I can't find?

TIA Mike

jazzypop 19:28 18 Jan 03

Try Device Manager first, then the BIOS - you will need to disable it.

If you really can't find it (have you checked with Dell, by phone or on their very good website?), it is easy enough to install withot the NTL CD - see this site click here . especialy the 'Installer issues' section

SEASHANTY 19:31 18 Jan 03

Mike. With NTL broadband you can have only one computer installed on your cable modem. This is because the cable modem takes note of your LAN card MAC identity connected to your main PC. It
remembers this every time you connect. To change it requires re-registration with NTL. A Network of two or more computers requires a ROUTER to get
round this problem. Its best if you CLONE in the
MAC ADDRESS (Physical address) of your main PC LAN card into the ROUTER before connection to the cable modem. This avoids reregistration because your modem will think it is still connected with your main PC. See the NTL engineers cable modem sharing site at -
<click here> I myself am using a Linksys
BEFSR41 router to share computers. It works fine.

mikeyb59 19:47 18 Jan 03

Couldn't find the adaptor in device manager, will have a look in the BIOS.

Thanks for the tip.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…