//some 3rd party need geo

NTL Cable going Wireless

stevemagness 20:41 15 Dec 05

Ok, I have 2 desktops, and 2 laptops, both laptops have wi-fi. I have NTL cable broadband supplying one desktop with the internet, the other shares this using ICS via an RJ45 cable.
We are now going to share the internet with the two laptops via wireless. I know I need a Cable Router, however, currently our modem is connected to the pc with the USB lead, NOT Ethernet, do I also need another Network card with ethernet port or will it work with USB?
Thanks
Steve

mgmcc 21:08 15 Dec 05

You cannot use USB. The router's WAN port connects by network cable to the Cable Modem's ethernet port and the computers connect to the router either "wirelessly" or by ethernet cable. Each computer needs to have a network adapter installed, either wired or wireless. You already have the adapters that are currently being used for the ICS connection with a crossover cable, these will connect to the router instead.

stevemagness 21:40 15 Dec 05

Great. Thank you.

rfrankie 12:12 09 Jan 06

I use ntl's Terayon Cable modem but wan't to buy combined modem/router mainly to send music/radio/video to other rooms. I have no network set up. What would be the best solution.
Many Thanks.. Frank

mgmcc 14:25 09 Jan 06

<<< I use ntl's Terayon Cable modem but wan't to buy combined modem/router >>>

A combined "Router & ADSL Modem" is *ONLY* for ADSL broadband delivered via the phone line; it cannot be used for Cable Broadband and you are not allowed to replace the supplied Cable Modem.

If you want to use a router, you need a "stand-alone" router, often described as a "Cable/DSL Router" (but don't confuse the reference to DSL with the combined models). The purpose of a router is primarily to allow multiple computers to connect to the internet simultaneously, although it also provides the basis for PC to PC networking.

rfrankie 22:22 09 Jan 06

Thank you for the reply. I was under the impression that NTL had no objection to self ownership of Modem since the service comes either with or without modem.(charged at £5.oo per month)
I see in an earlier reply there was mention of a Modem with built in wireless Router, is this not what I need?.
Many thanks. Frank

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…