NTL Cable Broadband connected by ethernet

mgmcc 23:29 31 Oct 05

Can anyone tell me whether, when connecting to NTL's cable modem by ethernet, it is still necessary to register the network adapter's MAC address with NTL before being able to get online?

I know that Telewest dropped this requirement and now authenticate using the Cable Modem's MAC address instead.

PaulB2005 23:30 31 Oct 05

Last time i did this i believe we had to run the CD and enter all the info again.

PaulB2005 23:31 31 Oct 05

Maybe try this....

click here

DerekR 23:34 31 Oct 05

I just installed the ethernet drivers off the NTL installation disk and off I went.... didn't have to re-enter all my details again.

007al 23:37 31 Oct 05

i had trouble with ntl connections a while back.i had ethernet connection and for some reason i wanted to see if there was any difference using the usb.when i tried to change back,i had to use the ntl disc,which then told me i didnt have an nic!for some reason ntl prefer using the usb connections.i was in the process of building a new system,so just left the usb connection until i set up the new rig.still never found out why it wouldnt let be revert back to ethernet though! if anyone knows........

mgmcc 23:41 31 Oct 05

Thanks, the link suggests that there is registration that could involve the MAC address. That being the case, a router would probably have to "clone" the MAC address of the network adapter used during the original registration.

PaulB2005 07:55 01 Nov 05

Let us know how you get along, please.

mgmcc 12:52 01 Nov 05

<<< Let us know how you get along, please >>>

The question was academic for technical support purposes. My own connection is with Telewest.

sattman 13:38 01 Nov 05

No, you do not use the disk or re register. Just change the cable over, reset the moden reboot PC and you should be online via ethernet, You should find ethernet is faster and smoother than USB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…