NTL Cable BB Connection failure (DNS Server error)

Ben Avery (Work) 09:27 05 Mar 03

Gday

Last night, after my bro decided to download IE6 from the windows update site, I had a lot of trouble getting it working again. Well, to be honest it wouldn't, it came up with an error that EXPLORER had got a problem and would shut down. This even occurred in safe mode, so I decided to reboot into win 2000 pro and install win 98 again using partition magic 8.

Unfortunately since setting up windows 98 again, I have lost my internet connection on both win 98 AND win 2000 pro, which both worked last night!

When opening IE, I get the white screen with the error "DNS Server could not be found" at the bottom of the screen.

I am connected to my NTL cable set top box via an ethernet to USB converter and my sytem spec is as follows:

* 512MB DDR RAM

* Athlon XP 2000+

* Win 2000 Professional

* Win 98 Second Edition

Any thoughts on how to rectify?

Regards

BA

Elrond 09:30 05 Mar 03

What area are you in? There may have been a fault in ur area or there is maintainence going on. YOu shud check the server status. I've just had an engineer around, she wasn't here for long as I said my problem had sorted itself out since I'd called to arrange the visit. She then said "didn;t they tell you on the fone this area had a problem?" no they hadn't!

Ben Avery (Work) 09:40 05 Mar 03

I'm in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk - Home of the country bumpkins and the "Ooh Ahh" farmers...

...not that I'm either mind!

I'll check. Thanks.

BA

Ben Avery (Work) 09:43 05 Mar 03

"ntlhome Broadband Service - Planned work w/c 03/03/2003
As part of the ongoing project to upgrade the existing Broadband network there is a requirement to carry out Universal Broadband Router or UBR upgrades.

Work will take place on the 04/03/03 between midnight and 5am at the Andover, Harrogate, Leeds, Wearside and York UBR's and between 9am and 2pm at the Great Yarmouth, Norwich and Poole UBR's.

Work will again take place on the 05/03/03 between midnight and 5am at the Ashton, Bromborough, Baguley, Oldham, Leeds, Stoke, Warrington, Wearside and York UBR's and between 9am and 2pm at the Bromley, Cosham and Leeds UBR's.

Work will again take place on the 06/03/03 between midnight and 5am at the Belfast, Baguley, Bromborough, Burnley, Cambridge, Derby, Middlesborough, Runcorn, Stockport and Stoke UBR's and between 9am and 2pm at the Stockport UBR.

During these worktimes, customers may experience a loss of service.

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience this may cause." <END QUOTE>

It wouldn't unreasonable to think that they got their times a little wrong!

Thanks, I'll try again when I get home.

Regards

BA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…