NTL Broadbnd customer wants to go WiFi

henliston 20:08 16 Feb 06

Am using NTL supplied Thomsom SpeedTouch 330 equipment to access internet, all is well. Have bought Belkin F5D7632uk4A ver 3011uk ADSL Modem with Wireless G Router and Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter to go WiFi. Have connected the modem/router to PC via ethernet cable but when I click on the NTL icon to access the web the PC wants to use the Thomson software and the LAN icon in Internet Connections has Broadcom Gigabite controller (installed by Dell in my PC at time of purchase)details under it, and cannot access the web. I am at a complete loss as to what to do. If I have omitted any useful info I apologise.

ade.h 20:34 16 Feb 06

You're on a cable service, and yet you have bought an ADSL modem/router???

Why????

You cannot use an ADSL modem/router with a cable service. The clue is in the name, really.

You need a router. Plug your modem into it. Remove all trace of your modem from your PC. Configure the router with your NTL connection settings.

At least you chose a very good modem/router, I'll give you that!

henliston 21:23 16 Feb 06

I'm not connected to an NTL cable service. I receive NTL Broadband via a telephone line.

keewaa 21:32 16 Feb 06

Have you...
In Internet Explorer Options - connections - tick never dial a connection
In same place try LAN on auto and not if necessary.

ade.h 22:15 16 Feb 06

"I click on the NTL icon to access the web the PC wants to use the Thomson software"

This answers you own question, basically. A modem/router dials your ISP connection automatically as soon as the ADSL line is established when you boot the router. You therefore receive your internet connection through the LAN. Once the router's startup procedure has been completed, you are already connected to the net.

You can and should remove all traces of your old modem and any NTL software that was specific to the connection process.

Control Panel > Phone and Modem options > Modems should be empty for example.

Your router config should be set up as per the pdf manual. I can provide screen grabs if you would like them.

Miss Happy 22:44 19 Jun 06

I also have the speedtouch 330 and its/ntls start-up disk installed on my laptop for NTL Freedom b/b.

Is there any 'trusted' wireless modem/router, I was going to buy the Belkin F5D7632uk4 but am not sure if this is the best, please can anyone help? I would like a good firewall, NAT & WPA standards etc.

Would a 108 rather than 54 be better on my 2Mbps b/b connection?

I have laptop with wireless IEEE 802.11b/g, OS win XP SP2.

Thanks.

ade.h 22:59 19 Jun 06

Please do not hijack someone else's thread. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…