NTL Broadband and Wireless connection

ajm 23:02 13 Oct 03

I am posting this on behalf of a cousin who is having problems with NTL cable broadband and wirelss access.

He has recently moved in a friend's house where there is NTL cable broadband. His friend uses a USB Cable modem to connect to his PC and access the internet. My cousin has a laptop and wanted to share the NTL broadband connection. He bought a Netgear DG824M Wireless Access Pint / Router and a Netgear Wireless PCMCIA Network Card.

My cousin says that that USB Cable Modem that in on his friend's PC also has a Ethernet Port(?) as well. He has connected the router with a LAN cable to that Etherenet Port on the Modem. And that modem is connected to the USB Port on his friends PC.

He has installed the Wireless PCMCIA card in his laptop. The laptop sees the Router Access point, but cannot get to surf the internet.

Is the above configuration set up correctly or is he doing something wrong. How can he rectify the problem? I have no experience with NTL/Cable Broadband as I have a BT-based Broadband connection with a Netgear DG814 and a Buffallo Wireless Accesspoint and all is working fine.

Anyone out there with similar setup with Cable/NTL broadband or any suggestions. Thanks in advance

LastChip 23:23 13 Oct 03

Normally, the Modem would feed the Router, and each computer would feed from the Router.

The option for a USB/Network connection on the modem, is not to supply two possible sources, but two alternative sources. In other words, you can connect the Modem to a USB port, OR a network card, but not both at the same time.

hugh-265156 02:01 14 Oct 03

you may also find some help re settings click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017