NTL Broadband USB / Ethernet

Rogerfredo 18:45 13 Feb 03

I originally installed my NTL broadband modem on USB on both my main desktop (running Windows ME) and my laptop (running XP Pro).
Since then I have tried to network the computers using ethernet, and so thought it would be advisable to use ethernet for the modem as well.
I changed the desktop over without problem, but when I try to install the ethernet modem software the laptop informs me that I have to either disable the USB adapter or remove it.
The problem is that I cannot remove it, as a message says that it may be needed to boot the computer, and if I disable it the NTL install software still sees it as being enabled and so will not continue.Any ideas to get around this?

recap 18:53 13 Feb 03

click here OzzyOs, it may help?

jazzypop 18:55 13 Feb 03

If you are going to network the PCs, you don't need the modem software on both of them - only the one connected to the NTL modem (presumably the desktop).

See click here for general advice on networking NTL, click here for excellent advice, and click here for how to setup ICS. Also see click here

wullie1 19:21 13 Feb 03

why dont u use usb on the main desktop and use a cat5 cable to connect to the ethernet on the both machines and use xp wizard to set up its very easy to do as i have just done so with a big help from my friend gajda in gatehead you must use the wizard on both pcs if not xz the first pc will create a disk for the second pc

Rogerfredo 17:09 14 Feb 03

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have read all the links before.
I am convinced I need to remove the USB device from the laptop in order for the Ethernet to work.

BRYNIT 17:34 14 Feb 03

If you installed ntl using usb you will need to uninstall this b4 installing on ethernet connection

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac