NTL Broadband via SetTopBox and a Router...

00edgarj 17:15 25 Dec 03

Is this possible? I have decided to at last go for NTL's 600K bb service and wish to connect this to a router which will replace my existing hub on our network.

NTL have very little information on their website about how the physicla connecitons work. I have an ethernet port on the back of my STB, is it possible to simply connect this to the router and then plug all other PC's into it? Or do I need to ask for a cable modem?

NTL were not very helpful on the phone - the person I spoke to was a salesman and only interested in getting my subscription fee!

Thanks,

PS - The routers I am looking at are the Netgear RP614 (click here then search for 35433) as I already have a netgear hub, or the Ebuyer Value cable router (click here then search for 48411) as it got some very good reviews and is much cheaper. The Netgear looks nicer but it will be hidden away in the loft so invisible to us anyway!!!

Thanks,

hugh-265156 18:35 25 Dec 03

really not sure about networks but this site has some good info re: ntl click here

hugh-265156 18:37 25 Dec 03

see halfway down this page click here

Rayuk 18:47 25 Dec 03

I am using that set up
Set top box to Netgear router and on to 2 pcs no problems at all.

Only thing to look out for is if you use online gaming etc check router you want to use allows you to configure this,not an option in my own case so cannot give you any more advice on this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…