NTL Broadband not compatible with Windows XP Pro

synthasy 16:20 07 Jan 04

Hi all,

Upgraded to WindowsXP Pro from Windows ME, all wen well except that i lost my broadband internet access. Tried reinstalling but kept getting message that modem was not connected (it was).
Have gone back to ME until i get this fixed.

I have gone to ntl's broadband help page, but doesnt seem to be very helpful. From what i can work out ntl broadband is possibly compatible with XP Home but not with XP Pro - this cant be right surely. Does anyome have any experience with this?
Im running 512 broadband via a USB connection, is this the problem? should i use an Ethernet connection and is their much difference?

Sorry to sound so desperate but i am :)

Any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Steve

©®@$? 16:23 07 Jan 04

if it is compatible with xp home then it will work with xp pro

what modem are you using

spikeychris 16:24 07 Jan 04

Its certainly compatible with Pro, if it wasn't I wouldn't be typing this. Are you using the digi box?

bananaslik 16:29 07 Jan 04

yes i'm the same.i'm running xp pro & on ntl broadband.did u connect your modem to computer before the reinstall told u to.i have a lot of mates on ntl broadband with no probs..

synthasy 16:29 07 Jan 04

im not sure what modem it is...i doesnt say anywhere (god i sound like a right plum)

It's not a digibox it's the little silver one as seen here click here

choffe 16:30 07 Jan 04

yes, i have had these problems.
first thing to check for is that you have installed all the relevant drivers for your motherboard.
secondly, you will have to use the installation disk for ntl broadband.
3rdly, power up your modem and pc, whilst powered up, unplug the usb lead and re connect it, this should prompt windows to find the modem.
it is a pig to set up any usb modems on xp and as far as onboard peripherals go, xp pro is no diferent to xp home..
hope this helps..

obbit 16:31 07 Jan 04

i have ntl B/B and xp pro. i have no problems at all.

hugh-265156 16:32 07 Jan 04

an ethernet connection will free up a usb port but you wont get an increase in performance.

have not heard any problems with xp pro.

click here

see also the links for modem troubleshooting.

hugh-265156 16:32 07 Jan 04
  obbit 16:33 07 Jan 04

just read your thread again. i have an ethernet card it is better than usb.

synthasy 16:35 07 Jan 04

just out of curiosity...has anyone done an XP upgrade and had no problems with their connection?

It was working just fine before the upgrade and works just fine now that i have uninstalled XP and gone back to ME

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…