NTL Broadband- Neither USB or Ethernet

Desert Rat 16:31 08 Jul 03

Recently signed up to NTL 600 Kbs. Broadband and have been experiencing problems from the start. Running W98(SE) and I.E. 6.0. My browser connection keeps dropping out after about 5 minutes use and can only be reset by re-booting the computer. Outlook Express is working fine. Following numerous threads on this Site, and reading of the successful conclusion many users have experienced, I transferred my connection from USB to Ethernet. Unfortunately the problem remains as before. Has anybody got any ideas as what I can try next? The NTL Help Desk, tell me that I have to revert back to I.E. 5.0/5.5 in order for them to provide support.
Before I do this has anyone any ideas as to what else I can try?

Valvegrid 17:37 08 Jul 03

I'm running Win98SE with IE6 on 150k connection without any problems whatever. A couple of months ago they switched us over to 600k for two weeks, again without problem. What exactly happens when you say the connection drops out, because it's there all the time. Have you tried another browser? I'm using Opera click here and it seems to work very well, you could try it and see if the problem persists.

Paul.

PSF 17:38 08 Jul 03

Have you removed all the references to the old- dial up you had before?
With NTL dial-up, if you did not use the connection for 5 minutes it would disconnect.

Desert Rat 11:28 11 Jul 03

Many thanks for the responses to my query. System is running just fine now though I can't be certain just what I did to correct the disconnect problem....a litle bit taken from all suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…