//some 3rd party need geo

NTL Broadband modem USB to Ethernet problem

Legolas 15:42 25 Mar 03

I have an NTL Broadband modem set up to connect using USB I want to change the setup to run with ethernet as I have just got a 4 port switch. I have ran the setup disk I got with NTL broadband and chose to setup using ethernet, I get an error message saying USB modem already installed and I will need to uninstall, when I go into device manager and try and uninstall the USB modem connection it says I cannot because the device might be needed to start Windows, aghhhh how do I uninstall this modem setup so I can install the ethernet setup?

spikeychris 15:54 25 Mar 03

I have been in the exact same position as you. Now what I did might not be the recommended action but it worked.

I un-installed the USB adaptor whilst I was still on-line. For some reason it works, I was getting the same error message every time I tried to remove the device.

The mission should you choose to accept it is to leave the USB plugged in and log on, go to device manager and remove the USB converter blah blah. Then shutdown the machine with the USB still plugged in. Unplug the USB and restart, run the installation disk again and it should get past the problem with "you have to remove or disable" section.

Chris

Legolas 16:37 25 Mar 03

Thanks spikeychris I managed to uninstall the USB modem and it dissapeared from the device list but when I ran the install for ethernet it still said there was a USB modem installed even although it was not showing up in the devices list even when I enabled show hidden devices. How can you uninstall something that is not there? But I will try your suggestion.

spikeychris 16:56 25 Mar 03

Good luck, just to reiterate it only worked for me if I did it whilst I was on the Internet.

PS I spent a age trawling through the net trying to find an answer, it seems its a common problem but I couldn't find a definitive answer.

Chris

Alex B 17:45 25 Mar 03

if you ring 08000681411 this is the free number to get through to ntl tech services, they will help you ive used them a lot.

Legolas 19:24 25 Mar 03

Could,nt get it to work then I could,nt get the USB connection to reinstall so I resorted to a format and then I could,nt get Win XP to install disc cracked so I installed 98 then I ran the modem setup for ethernet could,nt registar as I only got the dreaded white page with the cannot detect network setting message, so I had to set it up for USB which thankfully worked except I am now running 98 instead of XP and have lost all the apps I had installed spent hours just to get to where I started only not quite. I LOVE COMPUTERS ;-)

Legolas 19:26 25 Mar 03

I have ticked resolved although it is not but I am fed up with it at the moment.

billyliv 19:27 25 Mar 03

Hi legolas, Not sure how you are intending to set up your switch. I am on NTL broadband with a cable modem that was connected to my computer via USB. Because I run 3 computers at home I bought a Router so I could have broadband on the 3 of them. I switched everything off, removed the USB cable, connected my Cable modem to the router using the Ethernet port on the cable modem to the Wan port on the router. I then connected the 3 computers to the router, switched on, set up the router software and with no configuration at all the 3 computers were on broadband. Cheers, Bill

spikeychris 11:00 26 Mar 03

Nightmare scenario mate. Whats happened to your XP disk?

Chris

Legolas 15:34 26 Mar 03

Hi all I managed to get the switch set up and can access the Internet but not my network would I be correct in thinking that as I was connecting two computers together originally with xover cable that this will not work with a switch and I will need straight through cable and if so is there an easy way to convert it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…