//some 3rd party need geo

NTL broadband and lap top problems

1933 11:08 16 Apr 06

Trying to set up a WiFi router to NTL Set Top box the power light on the Netgear router is 'on', the wireless signal light is on but the Internet light stays 'orange' ie not connected. Removed the router and reconnected the Ethernet cable and got back on line. Has anyone used Netgear router with NTL BB and got it working? Or is there a better router for NTL? Thanks DG

johnnyrocker 11:10 16 Apr 06

have you set your router up?

johnny.

1933 11:50 16 Apr 06

As far as we know yes Johnny. One message that came up was trying to find IP address. But at that time there was no Internet connection.

pj123 12:28 16 Apr 06

I have NTL with a Belkin router and a Belkin wireless adapter on my second PC.

It's not on my set top box though. I found it was easier to get NTL to switch me to a separate Modem.

I had been upgraded to 2mb and my set top box only allowed a maximum of 1mb. I rang NTL and they sent an engineer out who disconnected the set top box, rerouted the cable, installed the modem all free. The internet account for the set top box was cancelled and a new account set up for the modem. Everything went very smoothly and the downtime was only for a couple of hours.

mgmcc 15:17 16 Apr 06

Did you power off the set-top box for a couple of minutes to allow it to release the existing connection, so that when rebooted it will recognise there is a new device connected to it and allocate a new IP address?

Fellsider 16:34 16 Apr 06

I was told that the Netgear routers provided with (Telwest & presumably NTL) broadband through the set-top box are 'doctored' to only allow 1 computer to connect.

I was also told to buy a different router and connect my BB to it then it should support multiple PCs/laptops.

I'll follow this trail as I bought a router but haven't tried connecting it yet.

DerekR 16:38 16 Apr 06

For some strange reason, I had to enable the "guest account" in XP to get my wireless router to work with NTL.

1933 08:51 17 Apr 06

Thanks for all the help. One thing that has crossed my mind is that I am trying to set up this sysytem with ONLY a laptop - there is no other PC on the system. Would this change the situation? DG

mgmcc 12:21 17 Apr 06

It doesn't matter whether you have one computer or several connected to the router, the basic setup procedure is the same. The point I made previously about powering of the modem (set-top box) is *essential*, otherwise the connection of a new device won't be recognised, it won't get a new IP address and you won't have internet access.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…