NTL BROADBAND DISCONNECTING

broggs 19:04 26 May 03

Does anybody else have the same problem as me with ntl broadband.
I have my pc swithched on for hours at a time.It has norton personal firewall on it and is connected to the internet all the time.
About a week ago I kept getting disconnected after an hour or so.The only way to reconnect was to unplug the settop box for ten secs and then plug it back in.
I have also tried to reboot my pc/disconnect ethernet cable etc but to no avail.
I am connected using a fast pci network card which
has been working fine.
Any ideas please.

Valvegrid 19:14 26 May 03

Mine's been working fine for some time now. Do you have the TV package as well? If you do is it working OK?
I did have a problem with NTL a few weeks ago, the internet went off, the little green light on the settop box was flashing, it all came back after about an hour or so.

Paul.

Valvegrid 19:14 26 May 03

By the way, I'm in the East London area, have you checked the server status?

broggs 19:15 26 May 03

yes tv is fine I will check to see if the green ligh stays on the next time this happens.

Valvegrid 19:17 26 May 03

I have just checked the server status, all appears to be OK.

spaciousmonti 19:20 26 May 03

Get on to ntl and h old on like abull dog till they get it sorted. I had exactly the same problem, its to do with the power going down the cable, its too week so your pc/modem drops it cos it cant find it.
Apparently the power fluctuates slightly, it never stays constant (the enigneer had an ocsilliscope type thing to measure this.
The answer they came up with for me was too attach a better thingy to the end of the cable at the box down the road, since then i have never lost a connection and the picture on the tv is fantastic, i also have to hold the phone away from my ear.

good luck.

Dr. Charles 19:26 26 May 03

I have NTL thro the set top box and it doesn`t like being left "Online" at all.

Either ring NTL up and ask for a "Shot down the line" which is a new handshake with the server - - - or switch off the computer, switch off the set top box for 30 seconds, also remove the card from the set top box (left hand side) and gently clean the printed circuit in gold with a lint free cloth. Replace the card (it only fits one way so don`t force it)/switch on set top box/ boot up computer and you will find this OK for quite a while.

Sometimes just doing a reboot does the trick but do the above for a "Clean start".

If you continue to have problems then there is a resistance setting which has gone off and you need NTL with their box of tricks to reset this.

Regards,

Charles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…