NTL broadband - CorrectConnect

jz 18:38 23 Sep 03

Someone recently on this forum advised removing CorrectConnect, the software provided by NTL for its broadband service, since it can cause problems.

Does this mean that NTL broadband runs on only the standard software (IE, OE) provided with Windows, in the same way that many dial-ups do?

What extra functionality do you loose if you delete CorrectConnect?

Jester2K II 18:50 23 Sep 03

Ooooh I need to watch this one cos i need to know for an NTL Dial Up account under Win98SE that hates IE6....

I think that CorrectConnect just checks your setting before you connect. Theoretically you could connect without it but if a setting goes errant it won't automatically be spotted and corrected.

obbit 18:57 23 Sep 03

uninstall correct connect it isn't nescessary and your broadband will be better without it

Wak 18:58 23 Sep 03

Hi Jz, I have 150K NTL Broadband (with Win 98SE, IE 6 and Outlook Express, LAN connection via top set box) and have kept CorrectConnect installed in spite of a few people recommending that it should be deleted just because they personally have had problems with it.
It's the same old story with the various bits of hardware and software.....90% of the people find that things work fine but 10% of the people have problems and then advise everyone else to ditch the item or the program.
I have found it very useful at times as you can store your internet settings whenever you wish and then restore them to an earlier date if things go wrong.
You can also check if the problem (if it arises) is with your equipment or at the NTL end.
Play about with it before you un-install it and see what it can do.
It could prove to be very useful later on and doesn't do anything at all until you switch it on, just like any other program.

jz 19:03 23 Sep 03

Hi Jester, yes it was your message that prompted me to ask the question.

Wak 19:06 23 Sep 03

I would also add that at the moment my setup is running at 223Kbps at the UK sites in click here which suits me fine.
Like I said, I must be one of the 90%.

obbit 19:31 23 Sep 03

i've just done 2 speed tests. your link Wak gave me 319kbps and the other gave me 419kbps so as you can see it's not too accurate. it depends on how many others are testing at the same site and alot more.

Wak 20:18 23 Sep 03

I agree Obbit, these speed tests are not accurate and can all vary from minute to minute and day to day, depending on the actual time and the number of people on the site.
The point I was making was that my 150K B/B was tested (today) at 223K whilst Correctconnect was still installed but not switched on.
It might run a little faster if I disconnected the Correctconnect and, then again, it might not.
Would I notice the difference of a few nanno-seconds??? I doubt it, but I would prefer to keep the facility that Correctconnect offers should any problem arise.
It's probably one of these personal things and you just have to choose which you feel is the best for you.
Jz wanted a few differing opinions regarding NTL so I reckon he's got enough to be going on with now.

Pesala 20:22 23 Sep 03

I removed it ages ago as it didn't do what I wanted it to do - restore a dropped connection. All it did was tell me when the connection was down with a warning icon in the system tray, but I can tell the same from the lights on my modem.

To restore a dropped connection I unplug the modem and plug it in again, which is easier than rebooting.

However, Wak's advice is good. There are some other functions, and you can keep it installed without putting it in the startup folder, then run it when you need it.

To see if your connection is good, all you need is a shortcut to do the following:

C:\WINDOWS\PING.EXE click here

This takes just a few seconds to confirm that the connection is good, or thirty seconds to tell you it is not. It also seems to refresh the connection sometimes, which Correct Connect never did for me. Maybe someone could confirm whether this is possible, or am I just imagining things.

Pesala 20:23 23 Sep 03

Where click here is any busy server with a quick response time.

jz 20:30 23 Sep 03

Thanks everyone, I think I'll keep it for now, I haven't had any problems so far.

Now where's that resolved box I have to tick...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…