ntl Broadband: connecting temporarily to other PC

ChrisE 09:12 11 Jan 06

I have ntl Broadband and my PC is connected to an 'ntl:home' modem via USB. At the moment I'm setting up a new laptop for my daughter and it would be very useful if I could connect the laptop temporarily to my ntl Broadband connection. Can I just plug the cable into one of the USB connections on the laptop (as somebody told me) or do I need to install a driver first (ambitcm?) and if so how do I do that?

Chris_E

recap 09:22 11 Jan 06

If you are intending to use only the laptop at the time of connection? I would think you would have to set it up as you did with the main PC as a stand alone connection.

You could however, connect them as a network either hardwired or wirelessly.

ChrisE 09:35 11 Jan 06

Thank you for the advice, but unfortunately my PC doesn't have a network connection.
If I set it up as I did with the main PC I'm worried that I might have problems after connecting and using it again with rhe main PC.

Chris_E

beynac 10:23 11 Jan 06

I don't know the answer, but it may be worth posting the question on the ntl user's forum click here

007al 11:14 11 Jan 06

Do you have any free sockets on the modem?

JYPX 11:57 11 Jan 06
  ChrisE 12:07 11 Jan 06

Thank you all for your advise, especially JYPX who provided a solution (it obviously worked for you?)... and yes I did 'Search forum' but this link didn't turn up (NTL -> ntl?).

Chris_E

JYPX 12:35 11 Jan 06

Yes ChrisE, I just did it the once. All I did was install the ambit driver from my original ntl cd. I confess that I am a little wary of constant switching until I see somthing from ntl about this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…