NTL Broadband: change from USB to Ethernet

Schopenhauer 16:45 04 Sep 04

I have been having trouble running NTL broadband via USB and from what I have read Ethernet is better with Win98. Having acquired a card and installed it I now have problems getting it to work. When trying to reinstall with the NTL CD I get the message "Unable to renew network IP address".
I have also tried to proceed without NTL software as per links found on this forum, but no joy.
I suppose I shall have to call NTL support, but I thought I would see if anyone had had the same problem here first, as they are so slow. In case anyone wonders, I have gone back to USB for the purpose of this request.

Derrick

wallbash 18:09 04 Sep 04

click here

these boys really know their stuff, I got all the help i needed on Boxing day

conrail 19:12 04 Sep 04

I am using xp so cannot comment on win98 but I just changed over no problem

Schopenhauer 00:03 05 Sep 04

Thanks for the link, Wallbash. I tried everything they said but still no luck. I'll try NTL support, probably Monday.

Derrick

Strawballs 00:10 05 Sep 04

When you tried to change over did you uninstall the USB software first I am on NTL network card on XP but when I first went from USB to card I was on 98SE and it worked fine uninstalled first then installed clicking on ethernet instead of USB

Schopenhauer 09:07 05 Sep 04

Thanks to you all for your advice. Everything works now. Not properly uninstalling the USB software was part of it, the rest was finger trouble, the instructions on the link were absolutely correct. I offer my usual excuse, advancing years.

Derrick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…