NTL broadband can't hook up to wireless d-link

NInaB 16:42 18 Apr 06

Hello,
I connected to broadband this morning with NTL (already have tv box). My computer is upstairs, tv downstairs, so connecting meant thick white cable running upstairs- not good - although it did work- so I immediately bought d-link wireless router with /wireless usb adaptor.(as recommended by computer salesman) Could not connect this, despite having tried every combination:
1. installed wireless usb adaptor- no problem
2. hooked up tv modem to wireless router using ethernet cable -no go- everything plugged in
3.hooked up tv modem to wireless router, plus usb cable from computer to modem, no go
4.hooked up pc to wireless router using ethernet cable- no go
5. tried every combination with and without wireless router, no go.
Says LAN or ethernet not hooked up. Also asks for 'password' on d link installation disk- no password anywhere! Basically, cannot get software cd to install at all on PC.
would appreciate any advice- probably no point in phoning NTL as they do not seem to be computer literate.
thanks

pj123 16:53 18 Apr 06

Looks to me like an NTL set top box won't accept a wireless router.

Have a look at this previous thread click here

I switched from the set top box to a standalone modem and the router that I have worked perfectly.

NInaB 17:05 18 Apr 06

thank you for your reply- However, both the cable guy and the computer salesman assured me that a wireless router would work well with the NTL box. I will, however, ring NTL and see if they can resolve it.

NInaB 21:06 18 Apr 06

Have now resolved this problem- took DLink router to PC World (bought it at scan but it was shut) and they advised me that the router was too weak. Have now got Linksys router, works perfectly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…