NTL Broadband - any good?

Andybear 17:14 03 Jun 03

I've had my normal telephone line with NTL for several years and am considering going over to their broadband service. Can anyone tell me of their experiences with them - good or bad? My choice of broadband provider is limited as most of them require a BT telephone line. I'm perfectly happy with my NTL telephone line and don't want to switch back to BT. Many thanks.

nigwel 17:29 03 Jun 03

Hi Andybear,

I have been with ntl broadband for about a year now staring at the 600kbs and now on the 1meg Broadband. I cant fault it, always getting top download and upload speeds, not sure what I pay for it but I would recomment it any time. Well worth the money. Only thing I would say it that you start of with the 600kbs broadband and see what you think to the speed and then upgrade to 1meg which can be done online, by all means try the 150kbs and then work up to the 1meg. You will probably get replies from people that have problems with it but then again you might not but go for it... You wont wont regret it.. Nigwel...

Tim1964 17:34 03 Jun 03

If you're already an NTL customer then their BB is your best bet. If you don't want/need to download large files often or are not bothered about steaming video for e.g. then you may find the 150K service adequate.. BUT as it's only £7 more for the 600k service (which is why I upgraded to the 600k) Exept for the odd email downtime they have been no trouble at all.

pj123 17:48 03 Jun 03

I am also on NTL BB at 600kbs. apart from the very first connection problem, which was sorted out within 5 minutes I have had no problems whatsoever.

I must say that my connection is via my digital set top box and not modem. But my access and download speeds are fantastic. My charge is £25 per month but I can go down to 128kb at £14 per month or up to 1mb for £35 per month. I prefer to stick with 600kb.

Valvegrid 17:58 03 Jun 03

Also on 150k BB from NTL here. They did switch us up to 600k for a couple of weeks, for avarage surfing there wasn't a vast difference in speed, but if your downloading a lot I think I would go for the 600k, that's where you notice the difference.

Apart from the email tripping over it's own feet occasionally it's been fine.

Paul.

Andybear 18:06 03 Jun 03

Thanks everyone, that's a great help.

bof:) 18:14 03 Jun 03

Hi Andybear,

I've been with NTL BB for 2 years now. In that time I've only been unable to access the server twice. In both instances the problem (discovered in the morning) was fixed by early afternoon.

Mike

nigwel 18:38 03 Jun 03

So were all impressed then...LOL... Me 2.. Nigwel...

Andybear 11:58 05 Jun 03

Thanks for all your comments. I've decided to take the plunge and go for the 600kb. I've just rung NTL and they're coming out next Monday to sort it all out. Wish me luck!

Valvegrid 12:57 05 Jun 03

Happy surfing!

Paul.

madpad 13:10 05 Jun 03

I have had ntl broadband for a number of years and have no problems. also my son uses it for online gaming and he is quite happy with the service.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…