ntl broadband in another room

willhay 10:56 14 Mar 04

I have ntl broadband and want to install to another pc in the house (upstairs) how do I go about doing this and when 2 people are on the internet at the same time how much of a loss of performance would I see

JerryJay 11:04 14 Mar 04

You need one Wireless Router/Access Point, and one Wireless adaptor for your upstair PC, NTL bb connect to router, down PC link to this router (need at least two Lan/Ethernet ports on this router), up pc link by wireless. Make sure, wireless router and adaptor use same standard, 11b is enough, but 11g is faster. You can get all info from here: click here

willhay 11:08 14 Mar 04

In english please

willhay 11:13 14 Mar 04

an easier way is doing it all wireless as getting cables through the roof is not really viable, so what do i need

W.o.t.i.f 11:17 14 Mar 04

I have a similiar setup but with wired router and i find it much easier to setup and it is faster. For a wired network you will need two network cards in both pcs. A router and switch in one. Connect the broadband modemto the router and get a really long rj45 cable and connect one end to the router and one end to your pc upstairs. Then get another rj45 cable and connect to your remaining pc.

JerryJay 11:20 14 Mar 04

one Wireless Router (sometime called Wireless Router), one wireless adaptor for pc upstair, you can find graph here click here about how to link them together

Rayuk 11:21 14 Mar 04

Wireless is easier[yes]but dearer and slower than wired.
Have a trip here for info for NTL networking
click here

W.o.t.i.f 11:21 14 Mar 04

or you can on top of the router get a wireless access point as jerryjay says, and connect that to the router uplink port, then get a wireless adapter for the pc upstairs and you are good to go. There are three types of wireless equipment available. Wireless G, wireless B and the other one i forget but that one doesnt matter. I would get the equipment labeled 11b because it is the cheapest and although only runs at 12mbps instead of the wireless G's 52mbps it is enough for any current broadband connection.

JerryJay 11:21 14 Mar 04

Find diagram for your setup here: click here

JerryJay 11:25 14 Mar 04

(1) How much you want to spend? The price for those stuff varies a lot.

(2) Is yor pc upstair desktop or laptop? If desktop, are you prepare to open it and install a pci card?

(3) Does your NTL modem have a Lan/Ethernet (RJ45) connector?

AndySD 11:28 14 Mar 04

A wireless Router and then cards/adaptors to the pcs. like click here= router click here= card click here= adartor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…